Gym shoe decoys

Discussion in 'Decoy Forum' started by 1duckmaster, Nov 28, 2017.

1. hamr504

hamr504 New Member Sponsor

2. hamr504

Juice,
    Juvie,
    I first wanted to say thank you very much, I've read your post in the past and you are very fair and respected on the site.
    Let me start off by saying there isn't much in life that can go without some sort of improvement. To address your questions and concerns I offer the following:
    I do not have a video currently of such high winds. I have had them staked in the yard for three months now and we have had plenty of winds in excess of 40 miles an hour and have not had a single decoy blow off.
    As far as very hard ground a cordless drill works great as well as a Metal pole with a quarter inch rod and a foot plate. Basically like one of those garbage pick up tools with a foot place to step on to drive it in. And then you just set the decoy in the hole. I would not pound on the stake to get them in hard ground. I would leave the stakes attached to the decoy and use the step pole to make a hole and drop it in . It is no different than the company who you stated in your post. They have the same stake system, meaning they are fiberglass rods. I've sat in the dark trying to find the cut out in the cups of those decoys and I've had to pull the stake out, put the head of a stake into the decoy and push it back down. In addition we currently have base plate style stakes in development. I personally think this defeats the whole purpose of these decoys, but we understand people like round bases . The stakes will not come out of the decoy with a 50 mile an hour wind, . I've gone to my spread after a 50 mile-an-hour wind and have had hard plastic decoys thrown for 300 yards across the rice field that were deployed with the stakes system you are describing. I don't think it's our place to talk bad about the other decoy companies. So I don't want to name them.
    These decoys are lightweight and easy to deploy and pick up. The purpose of these is not to be in competition with a hard bodied Avery, ghg etc. The other thing is you can pick these decoys up by the stake, carrying at least 20 in each hand and bring them back to your sacks for storage or stake removal.

Lastly is your opinion that the stakes need to be longer? The stakes are actually 23 inches. They can be cut down to whatever you want. There was an error on the website that will be changed.
    Or do you think that they are too long? We feel as though unless you were hunting in 6 inches of water they are plenty long and in some cases may need to be cut down.

Putting out 500 decoys of any brand or style is going to be labor-intensive. As has a Snowgoose Hunter you’re no stranger to the work involved in killing them.

The main benefits are that they look beautiful, are very light, take up a fraction of the storage space of hard full body decoys, and look a world better than wind socks. And not to mention they are dirt cheap!

I hope this made a little bit of sense to you and would appreciate any and all thoughts or suggestions from everybody.
    To everybody reading this just keep in mind that there are always going to be haters no matter what
    If you’re skeptical buy a half dozen, try them out, and see what you really think about them.
    My brother and I are full-time civil servants and each own construction businesses The last thing in life we sought to get into was decoy sales. However there is a huge hole that needs to be filled in the market for this type of product and we are hoping to fill it. Our mission is not to get rich off of selling decoys. Just looking to bring a good product to everybody and make A little beer money.

3. HONKSRWORKN

HONKSRWORKN Elite Refuge Member

They'll work .... I like the idea , but if you wanna sell a lot of decoys ... My question , why can't you replicate the DSD paint schemes and poses for your Canada's and Specks .... Seems like with technologies these days you could clone and reproduce any decoy made , without breaking copy write laws .. you make a slight change ... Then sell them at your prices ...oh and most important Do NOT run out of stock during hunting season .... DSD are hands down the best , but if you want them plan on buying in summer(when waterfowl hunting isn't a thought) because they sell out and don't make them again till the next summer ...

4. hamr504

We definitely appreciate all the ideas and in no way shape or form want to be like we know everything. Were just normal Hunters trying to help some guys out with some products we like. We're definitely looking at other options from people that are giving us suggestions. We were tired of paying a boatload of money in efforts to save the tundra We are just regular Joes. Thanks guys we appreciate it any suggestions questions or anything else keep them coming

5. hamr504

27750.jpeg

6. Geez n Quackers

Geez n Quackers Senior Refuge Member

I appreciate your efforts! Hunters - like yourself - have advanced the quality of the gear we can acquire enormously over the past 20 years. When everyone gets comfortable that it will continue to go back to its original shape without creases, I think the criticism will lessen. I am interested in your product. Like Juvie, I am a little concerned about the stake. Not for frozen ground that requires a punch, but just hard no-till ground. If you have to really grip the stake and push at the top, will your product stand up. I am unsure as to whether or not losing some paint or decoy surface detail after being whacked 25 times with a whiffle bat is good enough for durability. Maybe it is, but how does that compare to being scrunched into and out of bags, then jammed into trailers and truck beds over and over? Just wondering. I think that will just take customers time to see how well they hold up and your reputation will be tied to that.

The other concern I have is the need to doing anything extra even if it only takes a few seconds each decoy when setting up 1,000 plus decoy spreads for snows. Especially if it takes two hands. And finally, not a concern as I am sure the birds won't care, but many hunters like myself are sold on a decoy based on a high degree of realism. If this decoy does retain its shape, is durable, and had the posture and appearance equal to a DSD, Avian-X, or other top brands I think you would sell a lot of them.

7. hamr504

Every decoy has limitations. There is not a decoy that does not have some sort of limitation whether it is price, realism etc.Of course DSD’s are beautifully detailed but how many guys can afford 1000 of them? Remember these are less expensive alternative to high-priced full body decoys. There are plenty of inexpensive decoys out there but they look like......well, inexpensive decoys. We are hunters and we are creative. We all find ways to make our decoys easier to put out. These are no different. You will find a niche for these decoys in your spread.

8. 1duckmaster

1duckmaster Elite Refuge Member

I ordered a sample EVA plastic Canada goose and it came last night. First impression: I like it. It came collapsed and popped almost to complete shape right when I took off the wrapping. Stuck my hand inside it and popped it into form and it holds its shape. Paint is good and I wasn't able to scratch any off and the flocking is good as well. The are very light weight, but they are a smaller decoy, probably on the side of a lesser Canada decoy made by other companies. If you have to walk in and weight is an issue these may be the ticket. I will most likely pick up some more of these.

Question for Hamr504. If you are leaving the stakes on, how are you storing or taking these to the field or what kind of decoy bag or system are you using?? Any kind of discount after the season? :)

9. hamr504

We use big grain seed bags. Or 300 lb test monofilament line ran through the tail holes. Put a loop on one end for a stopper and alligator hook the other after the last decoy is on. You could make a loop or keep them straight and hang them from the ceiling to store For day to day use we just throw them in the truck with spider straps or in the trailer. Stakes never come out.
    Volume discounts are always available.

FYI 75 decoys in a pickup bed is no problem

1duckmaster likes this.
  10. Den and Jack

Den and Jack Senior Refuge Member

These decoys look a lot like the ones I bought from Bulk Decoy Club earlier this year. They are cheaper from the club and shipping is free. Appears to be the same product for more money:doh