Had a great opening weekend in SE WY

Discussion in 'Montana / Wyoming Flyway Forum' started by HunterNWyo, Sep 26, 2017.

1. HunterNWyo

HunterNWyo Senior Refuge Member

Got out for a quick sit over on a pond over in the Platter River valley and got three mallards. Didn't see a lot of birds in general.

On Sunday I got serious and took my dad out to hunt a lake in the Laramie River valley. Good ducky day with a storm rolling in - cold, cloudy with a steady east wind that allowed us to set up a good kill zone with the decoys. Had birds flying all day and shot limits of mallards and gadwall. Definitely saw some migrant flocks pushing down. Had one flock of pintail land shy of the decoys, but otherwise all mallards and gadwall - a bit surprised we didn't see any wigeon.

Saw four of five flocks of geese moving around - managed to make some noise on the call and get one flock to check us out (had a few geese decoys off on the side). Half the flock broke off and looked to be coming around but then they fell back in formation with the rest before they got in range. Was exciting for a minute anyway.

We can shoot two bluewings on top of our standard limit the first couple weeks - of course we didn't see any teal until we were packed up and hauling the decoys back to the truck, at which point a flock dropped in and landed right where we'd been set up. Never fails. ;) It was great to have a good hunt with the old man.

Cheers,
    Rich
    ducks.jpg Opening Weekend.jpg

letmwurk and nebgoosehunter like this.
  2. Mean Gene

Mean Gene Moderator Moderator Flyway Manager

Looks like a great weekend to me! :tu:tu

3. Big Sky

Big Sky Senior Refuge Member

Sounds like it was a fun hunt.

Our opener is Saturday. I got permission to hunt a field that a couple hundred geese were using all week...until this morning, that is :( Went out to scout it again this morning and they are sitting in a field about a mile east, a field that I have asked permission to hunt in the past and been told no. Nice.

4. HunterNWyo

HunterNWyo Senior Refuge Member

Seems like that's how it always goes, Big Sky. Hopefully after trying the alternative they'll decide they like "your" field better! :) It sure doesn't seem like it takes birds long to find those "no hunting" hangouts - often times before the season even starts! Good luck tomorrow on your opener. I'm hoping some stormy weather sticks around and makes for another good hunt tomorrow morning.