half-day/ all day hunting

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunters Forum' started by Glades Ranger, Feb 18, 2016.

1. Glades Ranger

Glades Ranger Elite Refuge Member

We've had to quit at 1 pm. here in Florida for as long as I've been hunting these osceolas ( c. 1984) but this year they are trying out a few WMA's with all day hunting. I know I need a break, even before 1 pm. though I usually go the distance. Going back out before sunset is awfully tempting. I have killed my dirty dozen all but two before 11:00 am. How many of you have killed a bird in the late afternoon? The state will study the results on the all-day WMA's and make a decision whether to extend this to the other areas...part of me welcomes it and part of me thinks it may not be beneficial. What say ye?

2. soiltester

soiltester Elite Refuge Member

2 of 3 of my Osceola's, were in the P.M. on private ground ;)

3. stevena198301

stevena198301 Elite Refuge Member

My first bird was an old long beard looking for one last piece before flying up to the roost. He was passionate about wanting to do the brown-chicken brown-cow... My first KS eastern was also killed at about lunch or a little later. He gobbled like he was still up on a limb. That was cool. I don't know about allowing full day pressure on the birds though. I'd rather see an alternating schedule of some kind. Maybe Tuesdays and Thursdays have afternoon only, and all other days be mornings only. Too much continual pressure, and the birds will become even tighter-lipped and sly.

4. stevena198301

Still so angry you guys get to hunt Osceolas... The jealousy fills me to the brim. :cry

5. mister gadwall

mister gadwall Senior Refuge Member

Have killed Osecolas in mid afternoon to late day in Florida on private ground and easterns in mid afternoon to late day in north Florida. Actually the birds are often easier to work as they can frequently be alone or with other male turkeys at that time of day.

6. Glades Ranger

Thanks, I figured more opportunities later in the day were viable...but from the long-range management, viable population of turkeys, I think keeping it till 1 pm. is a sounder strategy. That way I can enjoy lunch, a siesta, an afternoon scouting mission, and time at camp with my wife and daughter otherwise I really might go totally woods-crazy.:D

7. Squaller

Squaller Elite Refuge Member

We can hunt till 4pm here in California... I have killed a couple birds around 3pm or so...

In the later morning, early afternoon, if you can raise a gobble, you have a pretty good chance at him...

Odd that most hunters I see in the field end leaving the field around 8 am, which is long before I have been able to kill most of my birds...

8. stevena198301

I have to just because of work. But I will stick it out on the weekends when I can. Sometimes the other half has honey-dos though.

9. Glades Ranger

My dirty dozen wma birds were all taken before 11:00 am, 83% before 9:00 am. c. 70% were taken in the first two weeks. Early bird gets the bird. I stay the distance, meaning till 1:00 pm. but the heat can be excruciating some times, and statistics being what they are, it might be a case of being stubborn. All day hunting here is masochism, I like it like it is, a heck of a challenge, keep trying and enjoy the moment because "progress" is a killer of habitat in this state and I am just thankful a working man can have a place to hunt...

10. Squaller

Squaller Elite Refuge Member

I often head out later in the morning, or early afternoon... Sleep in, let the kids crawl in bed with us, get a couple chores done for the wife, or watch the kids while she goes out and relaxes, then enjoy the rest of the day in the woods...

It has been warm here during April the past few seasons, but if there is an unseasonably cold day, I will head out later... I look like a hero for giving up the morning shoot, and I have a much better chance at a turkey...:D