half-day/ all day hunting

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunters Forum' started by Glades Ranger, Feb 18, 2016.

1. chcltlabz

chcltlabz Elite Refuge Member

It is very location specific and subspecies dependent from what I've seen. Probably half the states I've hunted allow all day hunting and now most of them allow all day hunting at least some point in the season. Southern Easterns I haven't had a ton of luck in the afternoons. Mostly because I couldn't stand the heat and the bugs to hunt them much, but I have killed a couple in the 12-3 range when I had a bird going earlier and stuck with him. At least a couple were with hens and they eventually lost them and came looking for me. Rios that I hunted in Texas were every bit as fired up in the afternoon as the morning, albeit without the massive roost gobbling, but honestly most of those roost birds shut up as soon as they hit the ground anyways. I will say the birds in the afternoon didn't gobble as much, and one never gobbled once. He came in spitting and drumming while I was calling sporadically taking a siesta under a tree. Nice way to wake up.

I have had much more luck with Merriams in the afternoon. The birds I hunted flew down so early it was nearly impossible to get set up on the roost before they hit the ground. Sometimes they flew down while I still wished I had a flashlight to navigate. They seemed to move away from the roost fast to wherever they were headed. Best gobbling and working the call was always noon to 3.

The states I hunt in the North are now starting to allow all day hunting the last 2 weeks of the season, and I've had mixed results. I've killed quite a few birds that came in just as hot as first light, but spent quite a few days where I didn't hear a peep in the afternoons. I will agree with some of the posts above though. If I get a bird to answer a hen call 2-3 times after about 10, I'm going to kill him more times than not.

2. sho_freak11

sho_freak11 Elite Refuge Member

All of my turkeys have been killed by 9am... Except my first Tom, he was shot at about 3pm. I now prefer hunting in the morning here.

3. 10GAGENUT

10GAGENUT Elite Refuge Member Flyway Manager

Biggest birds I have killed have been between 10 am and 1 pm, afternoon hunting would be nice but we have to quit at 1pm also.

4. Chopper

Chopper Senior Refuge Member

I prefer all day hunting. It is a blast to chase them all day in TN. If the weather is right I'll stop for a couple hours midday to noon out or pick morrells. The day seems to pass quickly. In FL we got shorted an hour of hunting as the time change now occurs prior to season opener instead of during the season. Would be cool to ay least get the hour back. On private land in FL they can harvest 2 per day vs 1 per day public and have all day hunting. The WMA I hunt should have the same regs as it is surrounded by private ranches.

5. BangingBirds

BangingBirds Senior Refuge Member

Hey Squaller- Note the time change for this year:D don't cut yourself short:tu

Regulation changes for 2015 - 2016
    • As of July 1, 2015, nonlead ammunition will be required when hunting upland game birds on CDFW wildlife areas and ecological reserves. Please plan accordingly. For more information please see theDepartment’s nonlead ammunition page.
    • The end of shoot time for spring turkey season moves from 4:00 pm to 5:00 pm.

6. bill cooksey

bill cooksey Elite Refuge Member

I've killed several afternoon birds and called in a bunch more for other folk. That said, I wish TN stopped at one. I don't really care for afternoon hunts and can't recall the last time I hunted an afternoon for myself.

7. SB2MAG

SB2MAG Elite Refuge Member

Over the years I've shot about 50 in the afternoon. Both Spring and fall. One was shot two minutes before sunset.

8. luke18kaz

luke18kaz New Member

We have all day hunting here in Wisconsin now and I really enjoy it. We used to have a 12 noon or 1pm closure when I started. We have 6 separate 1 week seasons that you must have a tag for which spreads out the pressure considerably. Early seasons here in Wisconsin can be pretty cold and snowy, heading out later in the day often is the only chance to tag the bird in inclement weather. For instance in the last 2 weeks I took my nephew out for the youth hunt it was 16 degrees with snow, we ending up tagging his first bird at 5:30 pm when the temp had raised to a balmy 30. Just Thursday of this week I took out my neighbors 73 yr old father though and had one come down right off the roost done before 6am. I do think this is one of the things the DNR has right using the separate seasons to spread out pressure vs using time closures. Plus a little selfishly during most weeks I can only get out after work in the afternoons.