Hand over your guns on demand

Discussion in 'Hunters Rights Forum' started by Tech III, Jan 10, 2009.

1. Tech III

Tech III Elite Refuge Member

2. The Other David

The Other David Elite Refuge Member

Interesting situation... We'll see how this plays out. Thanks for posting it.

David

In West Allis, in August, in a scenario eerily similar to the one Lawhern outlined, West Allis police drew their weapons and arrested Bruce Krause, who was wearing a holstered legal pistol while planting trees on his own property.

3. 'tween_fly_ways

'tween_fly_ways Moderator Moderator

I skimmed it, so don't hammer me if this is obvious. . .

Is there some specific fear of the wording "hand over"? Precedent maybe? Is it like vampires requiring an invitation into your home?:nutz

I see where being able to require any citizen, anywhere to hand over their firearm is a bit concerning, but don't y'all's hunting licenses require you to give permission to search by a game warden?

4. Overkill67

Overkill67 Elite Refuge Member

I don't think it is the turning it over for inspection part....more along the lines of surrendering it I.E. for them to take back to the shack and you go to court to try and get it back for no reason other than they want it. At least that's what I got out of it.

5. 'tween_fly_ways

'tween_fly_ways Moderator Moderator

Yeah, but the former instructor made a huge point of telling students to lay the gun down and allow the LEO to pick it up, rather than hand it directly to him. . . as if handing it to him conveyed substantial legal import.

Strange dance. . .

6. Overkill67

Overkill67 Elite Refuge Member

Definatly strange. I don't have a problem letting any law enforcement officer check my weapons. If they then refused to return them then I would have a problem if I had done nothing wrong....but not before then.