"hand this man over to Satan"

Discussion in 'Christian Forum' started by Sinkbox<><, Feb 15, 2006.

1. Sinkbox<><

Sinkbox<>< Senior Refuge Member

1 Corinthians 5:1 NIV It is actually reported that there is sexual immorality among you, and of a kind that does not occur even among pagans: A man has his father's wife. 2 And you are proud! Shouldn't you rather have been filled with grief and have put out of your fellowship the man who did this? 3 Even though I am not physically present, I am with you in spirit. And I have already passed judgment on the one who did this, just as if I were present.
    4 When you are assembled in the name of our Lord Jesus and I am with you in spirit, and the power of our Lord Jesus is present, 5 hand this man over to Satan, so that the sinful nature may be destroyed and his spirit saved on the day of the Lord.

I was asked about this verse:
    What was Paul saying?
    How do believers hand somebody over to Satan?
    How can giving this man to Satan save them since it's his purpose to seek & destroy us?
    :confused:

Sinkbox<><

2. Lowtide

Lowtide Elite Refuge Member

From biblebb.com:

"Deliver this man to Satan" (v. 5). I have translated the Greek aorist infinitive paradonai (paradounai, "to deliver") as an imperative. Handing someone over to Satan is akin to the prescription Jesus gave His disciples: treat an unrepentant sinner as a pagan or a tax collector (Matt 18:17). The command to deliver someone to Satan has a parallel in another epistle where Paul writes about some people shipwrecking their faith. "Among them are Hymenaeus and Alexander, whom I have handed over to Satan to be taught not to blaspheme" (1 Tim 1:20, NIV).

Paul's command to hand over a person to Satan is the act of excommunication and is equivalent to purging the evil from the church (cf. v. 13). Believers are safe in the hand of God from which no one, not even Satan, can snatch them (John 10:28-29). But if a sinner is delivered to the prince of this world, he faces destruction. He no longer enjoys the protection that a caring Christian community provides. John C. Hurd puts it graphically: "The Church [is] an island of life in Christ surrounded by a sea of death ruled by Satan."[16]

When adrift and deprived of spiritual support, the possibility is not remote that the outcast will come to his senses and subsequently repent. Here are two examples from the OT and the NT, respectively, of individuals who repented and returned to fellowship. Gomer, who as Hosea's sexually immoral wife personifies Israel, exclaims, "I will go back to my husband as at first, for then I was better off than now" (Hos 2:7, NIV). And the prodigal son repented by confessing that he had sinned against God and against his father. Of his own volition, the son went to his parental home. This Jewish son came to his senses when he worked seven days a week herding pigs for a Gentile and was physically starving. He had broken God's commands, but confessed his sin before God. In the words of the father, the wayward son was dead; but when he returned home, he was alive again (Luke 15:24, 32).

3. Floridaboy

Floridaboy Moderator Moderator

The problem is almost all churches will not do this for fear of man's reprisal against them.

4. TPM

TPM Elite Refuge Member

Exactly FB. Church discipline is virtually non-existant today and even when it does occur, the offender can easily find some other church to accept him in his sin.

5. Sinkbox<><

Sinkbox<>< Senior Refuge Member

Comment was made Wed night Bible study: Let's suppose "this man in question" in Paul's day" is "your son" in this day....explain how we are to
    " turn " him over to Satan? This concerned father wanted to know what that included on his part?

Someone told him the meaning was to "love him enough to let him go." :yes :no Paul says we are to expel the immoral brother but the reason behind this case was that it might save his spirit...right?

If anyone was living in a willful state of sexual sin that could endanger his salvation this man was since Paul was speaking to the man's spirit....correct.

Yet Paul seems to indicate he could technically die in a &#8220;saved&#8221; state--at least at that point.....correct?

How much longer this man would have been able to die in a state of grace we don&#8217;t know

Would one be right or wrong to suspect that Paul was worried that if the Devil didn&#8217;t kill him soon he would eventually lose his salvation altogether if he did not repent.

Sinkbox<><

6. TPM

TPM Elite Refuge Member

7. Floridaboy

And it works too.

The two times I was involved in such a situation it resulted in restoration of the individuals to the church.

8. wingmastr23

wingmastr23 Elite Refuge Member

FB,

Twice someone in your church "had his fathers wife"??

Wouldn't that be the mans mother?:eek:

9. onionhead

onionhead Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

Hey Wing .... I read 1st Corinthians 5 in the Message and the authors did an excellent job - IMO. Certainly a "teaching aid" in this passage.

10. Floridaboy

What are you talking about????

I did not say anything about "had his fathers wife". :confused:

I was being general in my comments about the two times I have seen a church actually use or threaten to use church discipline.