Handling

Discussion in 'Gun Dog Forum' started by craig wilson, Aug 25, 2017.

1. KwickLabs

KwickLabs Elite Refuge Member

Well it appears the issue is corrected. Seems to me if two bumpers were far enough apart, a simple "sit", "good" and "here"
    would resolve the issue.....if those were thoroughly taught standards.

Here is some "more". The continued use of a rope by the time one begins working a pile indicates a lack of responsiveness. But
    then again, some spend a lot of time making pups do things (or not) with the use of pressure. But that is another topic. :h.

edit: Rick Hall mentioned a quick recall....of course that must be well taught, too.

2. EvanG

EvanG Elite Refuge Member

Apologies to Craig & Jim for not simply addressing the OP. I was zeroing in on a specific point. "Pile work" is not just one skill. In my coursework I refer to it as a skill set. That's because it puts together a fully-trained retrieve; Go, Fetch, Come (or Here). Again, as Jim points out, if those skills have been thoroughly established you have sufficient tools to deal things like shopping the pile, or fetching more bumpers than one, which happens either because of shopping or by having set the pile improperly.

You're welcome to ask about any training topic.

EvanG

3. Cappy_TX

Cappy_TX Elite Refuge Member

Remi-spring twofers.jpg

My yellow Lab Remi teaching her Labradoodle cousin Rusty how to do "twofers". For gun dogs, it's especially useful during Teal season. ;)