Hard sided blind on jon boat

Discussion in 'Boats, Blinds, & Gadgets Forum' started by Quackhead2008, Feb 5, 2018.

1. Quackhead2008

Quackhead2008 New Member

Wondering who out there had made hard blinds on their boats what do you like and dislike about them I just recently got a lab and am thinking I need a bigger boat and putting hard blind on it something like a bust em just trying to make one instead of paying the 2000 any pictures or thoughts be helpful thanks

2. marshmob

marshmob Senior Refuge Member

Never had a hard blind on my own rigs but hunted out of and trailered a couple. Once your to the spot and hunting I loved em but trailering and actually running imo are a pain and dangerous. Trailering feels like your pulling an umbrella and running the water you can’t see except straight forward if your lucky. I also feared catching big winds when crossing wider pieces of water. So needless to say I’ve always had drop down/scissor blinds.

Fowler267 likes this.
  3. Kendall Steffensen

Kendall Steffensen Senior Refuge Member

4. 1quacker

1quacker Elite Refuge Member

I built a custom hard sided blind for my boat. Do you hunt shallow water where you can wade to set out decoys or is it to deep and everything has to be done from the boat ? If the answer is everything from the boat then I wouldn't consider it and I'd get a flip over blind of some kind instead. I sold mine because we hunt deeper water and it was misery trying to set/pickup decoys, pickup birds, boat was like a sail. It was great for warmth, guys loved sitting in it going across the cold morning because it blocked everything. We hunted local so pulling it was no big deal. If we waded everything it would have been great.

5. Sorny

Sorny Senior Refuge Member

The only down side I have found for the hard sided blind is loading it on the trailer in high winds. It can be a pain, and sometimes takes a couple tries. I have no issues with trailering down the road or cruising it on the water. My blind is low profile enough that I can see over the high side when standing and driving. For the way I hunt the hard side blind is a much better option than a pop up.

6. theduckguru

theduckguru Elite Refuge Member

Hunted out of lots of boats with permanent wire/camo sides, but none that were a hard side material like plywood.

7. Tailfeathers

Tailfeathers Elite Refuge Member

When the wind suddenly picks up....you're screwed.

8. Mallardmisser

Mallardmisser Elite Refuge Member

Not for me... My hardside "folds down." I designed it because I hunt alone a lot. I'll try to describe it, it's burried in my barn so no pics right now.

My Boat is 16 foot long and ~ 80 inches at the top. It has catwalks on the side that make the opening "rectangular." I built walls about 12 inches straight up on the catwalk. I used 1 1/2 channel top and bottom and used 1 1/4 square tube for the studs.. Think of a house wall.... the tube fit in the channel and pop rivets held it until I had it welded... I attached bimini deck hinges to the top plate and built a similar frame for the part of the blind that slants in. Again 1 1/2 channel at the top, 1 1/4 studs, no bottom plate. The bottom of the studs got square tube bimini hinges. I used some material I had on hand from previous blinds.

When the wind blows hard and I need to load up I just drop the sides and the boat is only 12 inches or so tall... I have about 20 inches between the two sides when they are down. Enough to maneuver in a pinch.. I run a mud hull with no keels and a short-tail so side winds really blow the boat around with the blind up..

I'll try to get some pics..

9. Fowl-Action

Fowl-Action Senior Refuge Member

Following, I've been thinking of building a small hardside for my boat for awhile now.

10. Phil Kahnke

Phil Kahnke Senior Refuge Member

I've made two hardside blinds and would never go back to a collapsible. Trailer is not an issue unless you're pulling them by hand or using a compact car then I guess it would be a problem. Driving them is not an issue at all you make them properly...you HAVE to drive from up front, and when you do that it is ten times better than driving a tiller because you are right up front watching what is going on. I have mine out in 40+mph winds so that is not an issue unless you make them so awfully tall that you would never be able to hide it in the first place. There are definitely two instances where I would NOT want a hardside blind...if I hunted deep water all the time and had to pick decoys up from the boat every time I went..and in the woods of course. Other than that you would never go back to a foldable blind after a hardside. Here's a video of one of the boats I built.

take'm and Lastflight like this.