Hard sided blind on jon boat

Discussion in 'Boats, Blinds, & Gadgets Forum' started by Quackhead2008, Feb 5, 2018.

1. Mallardmisser

Mallardmisser Elite Refuge Member

Here are some pics, should explain the basics of the build. blind pic 1.jpg blind pic 2.jpg blind pic 3.jpg blind pic 4.jpg

2. Sorny

Sorny Senior Refuge Member

You will never find a pop up that will hide like a properly brushed hard side does.

[​IMG]

3. Fowler267

Fowler267 Elite Refuge Member

Each has it's place. Try following me through some of the brush I go through with that boat.

Yours will hide very well up against a grassy bank and possibly out alone. It is possibly warmer then a pop up as well.

But I bet its a pain to pick up decoys and running open water or through brush or timber would not be fun.

ringneck5499 likes this.
  4. 1quacker

1quacker Elite Refuge Member

20171126_095826.jpg
    This is a modified mud buddy flip over blind. Overhead cover and 3 shoot out holes. We shoot off chairs and the birds have no clue. We just come out of the holes with the barrels and have at it. The holes are adjustable to 1/2 or 1/4 open. Used about 20# of raffia. If I didn't run deep water sets I'd have another blind like Phils.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2018
    Phil Kahnke likes this.
  5. captaininsano050

captaininsano050 Refuge Member

6. Mallardmisser

Mallardmisser Elite Refuge Member

I will when I can get it outside, right now it's just piled in the barn.... Had to crawl over crap to get those pics..

7. JP

JP Elite Refuge Member

Built a hard sided blind on a Lowe Lake Jon back in 1978. It was a source of frustration when deploying and recovery of decoys in deeper water and limited visibility when the birds were working. It looked great when dressed out but practical application in the field proved problematic.

Bought a Beavertail flip-up blind in 1999 and still have it. The wind proof and waterproof covering encompasses the attributes of a hard-side and the ability to deploy or stow in seconds makes it the hands-down winner. Of course, I've only been at this for fifty seasons and may have missed something.

8. grnhd

grnhd Elite Refuge Member

I love mine, I've been using a hard side for 3 years now and I'll never go back to any kind of soft side blind. I've used mine in deeper water also, and while it's a pain by myself 2 or 3 guys and it's very manageable once you figure out what works for you.
    Downside, hmmm...I guess keeping brush on it but I cut plenty before season and just add to it as I need to. No soft side blind will ever look like this.
    20161223_080712-1.jpg

Sorny and Phil Kahnke like this.