Hardcore Goose Decoys

Discussion in 'Goose Hunting Forum' started by 81arnghunter, Mar 8, 2017.

1. 81arnghunter

81arnghunter Refuge Member

Anyone have any experience with Hardcore Full-body decoys or the shells?

2. Spencer5100

Spencer5100 Elite Refuge Member

Hardcores used to be the best thing on the market behind DSDs, but they are nowhere near what they once were. If you are referring to the newer ones, I would personally avoid them at all costs.

wyfarrell likes this.
  3. dani

dani Refuge Member

x2 on that comment! Buy good decoys and be done with it! Leave the Hardcores where they are.

4. mpkowal

mpkowal Senior Refuge Member

The originals were the best goose decoy period.Now not so much.

5. tornadochaser

tornadochaser Elite Refuge Member

Word has it the new canada models this fall will be soft plastic. Already saw video of a soft plastic mallard floater.

6. salthunter

salthunter Moderator Moderator

I would say they were the best looking most realistic goose fooling decoys of their time, but fragile as eggs. We had 14 dozen poly 2nd generation . I thought thye were very good also.
    But different owners over the next few years they arent what they were by miles.

7. Rick Hall

Rick Hall Elite Refuge Member

I didn't find the originals nearly so fragile as heavy. Have some that still look pretty good despite being left out all season for what's become a lot of years. I preferred the weight and many poses of the '04s and '05s, but they had serious paint adhesion problems. Held onto them, too, thinking I'd repaint them some day - which hasn't quite gotten here yet.

8. salthunter

The earliest HC were brittle.
    We bought a lot of the poly decoys,.. I had a handful with paint problems. The rest did great . The lessers were the airbrushed decoys I sold the last of them last year at this time,
    Somebody has to have those original poly molds, if a decoy was made with those molds and the ACE or materiel RDC uses I would own another spread,( well my buddy would)

9. Rick Hall

Rick Hall Elite Refuge Member

Perhaps I've just been lucky (and don't toss them in a trailer), but a meaningless wingtip from one decoy has been my only breakage.

ED Vanderbeck likes this.
  10. salthunter

Changing brands: I had an original DSD lesser a wing broke, Drove over some hard-sides, they did fine; but flying out of the pickup on the interstate was hard on a few,also a ladder went out from under me, I dropped 8 feet and cracked a decoy.
    Last week I had dug out all my DSD honker hard-sides,a 9 foot cabinet clamp went right through a felt winged hard-side honker,. That decoy had been on a lot of hunts , repainted once and looked great. But taking care of decoys and keeping them looking good isnt that much effort nop matter the brand. We sold a bunch of shells that had been on over 70 hunts, the guy thought they were new.