Hardside Aluminum Hi-Lo Blind Pics/Vids

Discussion in 'Boats, Blinds, & Gadgets Forum' started by Phil Kahnke, Sep 7, 2017.

1. Phil Kahnke

Phil Kahnke Senior Refuge Member

I've made a few different boat blinds over the years and last year was my first attempt at a welded blind. I had never touched a welder before in my life until this project, and I decided to start with welding. After a few youtube videos I was rolling...actually much easier than I expected it to be.

I built a hardside blind that hides well, has great decoy storage,drives easily, has miscellaneous storage and is comfortable and easy to use. I documented the build with photos on my flickr page from beginning to end...link below. Here's a photo of the finished product...link below photo.

[​IMG]Untitled[/url] by pkahnke, on Flickr[/IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I also put a few youtube videos together where I describe how I built it and why I did the things I did. Here's a link to the first one of the videos. There are three short ones about this specific boat and I have two other aluminum blinds that I've built on that youtube page as well. One is a hardside blind for a tiller/mud motor setup if anyone is interested in that idea.

Hopefully they can help someone with any questions. I think I've answered almost anything that would come up between the videos and the photos!

Last edited: Sep 7, 2017
    Fowl-Action likes this.
  2. tornadochaser

tornadochaser Elite Refuge Member

Phil, how much do you think you have invested in materials for this build?

3. Phil Kahnke

Actually not that bad for cost...about $1500 for everything in the blind. I had to install the steering wheel/console/throttle for the up front driving so that was more but the actual blind wasn't that expensive..at least compared to what you'd pay to have it done.

4. Fowl-Action

Fowl-Action Senior Refuge Member

I really like your blind! how many hours do you think you have in the build? also are able to run that big boat on the Missouri ok?

5. Phil Kahnke

Fowl-Action...man I can't even guess on the hours. A couple hundred at least. A lot of days off last summer and a TON of evenings after work.
    And yes it gets around all over the place very well. I had it on several of our bigger lakes in some rough weather and I love it for that. Gets around in shallow water just fine also...as well as an outboard can I guess.

Fowl-Action likes this.
  6. ksgoosekillr

ksgoosekillr Senior Refuge Member

Thanks for this post, as i start my 17th build to date for an alum frame blind i plan to use a few features you have here for my newest rig. I notice it looks like you have some removable shooting panels for shooting holes, any detail on those? What did you skin it with? and was the skin riveted or sheet metal screwed in? Im planning to use the colored roof flashing for my skin to avoid painting or turf on the interior.

7. Phil Kahnke

Hey man...I forgot about this thread for a while...just got back from an elk hunt :)

As far as the removable shooting panels...I have five of them. I made them each 24" wide so that a guy could easily fit through them and so that I wouldn't have such a big hole when one was open. They are just 1/8" aluminum that I cut to the right length. On the blind I just built this year I did them with 1/16th and I think that will work just fine and much lighter. To kee them on when driving I just ran some 3/8" bungee through them and put a hook on the top and bottom of the inside of the blind. Haven't lost one yet.
    I skinned the blind with .032 aluminum. I think that's the size that works best. Thinner and it would be really floppy and thicker and it's just more than you would need. I riveted the skin but I imagine a guy could use self tapping screws easy enough.

8. feetdown71

feetdown71 Senior Refuge Member

If i ever go with a hard sided blind this will be the to go after.

Phil Kahnke likes this.