Harvey and Debt Ceiling

Discussion in 'Political Action Forum' started by eel river, Sep 3, 2017.

1. hobbydog

hobbydog Elite Refuge Member

Like it said in the article. "The best course of action is to phase out the deeply flawed program and enable private insurance to replace it."

Are you for phasing it out?

2. Ron Gilmore

Ron Gilmore Elite Refuge Member

I will ask again hobby in regards to the current situation and the debt, do we as a country put support and aide into those areas now or not? Simple question stop avoiding it by asking other questions! The eel dodge is old and tired!

3. hobbydog

My response was implied when I said the program needs to be phased out. Your answer is YES, the debt limit needs to be raised. But how we spend that money needs to be debated. Do we buy out properties that have flooded 3 years in a row? Let them rebuild and keep insuring them? These are simple yes or no questions back to you Ron.

4. Ron Gilmore

Ok that wasn't hard now was it. Think Franken or Amy will go along with your ideas?

I know my elected Fed's won't. Have asked and discussed this with them many times.

5. hobbydog

You didn't answer my questions. Do we buy out properties that have flooded 3 years in a row? Let them rebuild and keep insuring them? These are simple yes or no questions.

6. 10GAGENUT

10GAGENUT Elite Refuge Member Flyway Manager

I agree 100% only problem is how do you stop it?? After working and seeing what goes on in Florida there are no rules or regulations that are followed except for hurricane building codes.
    Florida's number one industry is Tourism and Retirement communities, they'll let people build down there till the cows come home, it's been going on for years and is going to keep on going on.

7. KENNEDY63

KENNEDY63 Elite Refuge Member

And you must be an unprincipled troll.

The left (present company included) is exploiting this hurricane to take political pot shots at a state that generally votes conservative, and has refused to march in lock stop with over-reaching government oversight.

What's the next prop that you'se all are going to throw up? Dead kids because of "bad zoning"? :l

8. Ron Gilmore

Are local entities have been doing that for years up here both Cass and Clay counties and you know North Dakota Minnesota side of the river put severe restrictions on where people can build you know that helps but you have to look at an area like the Red River Valley.

It's a very very very flat area when we have floods here the water doesn't get 10 2015 ft deep it gets to 3 ft deep and it's 30 miles wide. So how do you take an area as fast as this is from the South Dakota border to the Canadian border all the way up to Winnipeg and say you can't build in that area you can't live there.

So I think there has to be restrictions and the most flood clone a prone areas have to be non building areas, but you can't take a region from the South Dakota border to the North Dakota border in the Minnesota can 15 miles east in 20 25 30 miles west and say oh you can't bill there you can't live there there are places and homes that have never flooded in the history that we have of the state. Yet elevation wise we know that those areas could flood

I know this much that the flood insurance as it sits now is a problem it's a joke I think it should be privatized. And then the lenders can say okay your building in this area just like homeowners insurance if you have a mortgage they require it it might slow Commerce down a little bit it may slow some of the development and building in certain areas I'm not sure that that's a bad thing.

People say without Federal subsidies people couldn't afford to live in these homes well like a lot of things maybe the cost of the home the size of the size of these homes would be less because the cost of living in them would be more.

Again as I pointed out I bought flood insurance even though I'm not required to do so. So if they privatized it that means everybody who buys homeowners insurance renters insurance whatever their premiums would go up slightly all the way across the board so that flood insurance could be purchased at a more economical level than currently it is I know that the industry tries to assess the risk in an area of largest impact but maybe we need to take the Obama care approach where everybody pays is that in your wheelhouse I don't know this is a complicated situation in a one that is not going to be easily undone

9. eel river

eel river Elite Refuge Member

You pretty much never give an answer Ron. As Trump says often, its weak.

10. eel river

eel river Elite Refuge Member

Just to be sure here, are you saying I ok with cross subsidization? Like the ACA? Can you say, liberal ..............