Has anybody patterned the new, hevi tungsten loads?

Discussion in 'Shooting - Reloading Forum' started by California Flyway, Oct 30, 2017.

1. California Flyway

California Flyway Elite Refuge Member

Has anybody patterned the new Hevi Tungston loads that come in boxes of 25 shells? I am particularly interested in the patterns the 20 gauge loads in #4.
    My locqal sporting goods stores do not have any for me to buy and pattern

Thanks

2. Tuleman

Tuleman Elite Refuge Member

Be careful of these Hevi-X loads. They advertise them as "tungsten" but the box says "steel waterfowl shotshells". And really; $1 to $1.50 per shell is steel-load prices, not Tungsten which typically goes for $3 -$4 a shell. The density of the shot in these shells is between steel and lead....not nearly what other tungsten loads are.
    Bottom line: Hevi-X will not give you the performance of tungsten loads....and it shouldn't be expected to, not that the price of upper-end steel. As an option for other good steel loads it should be fine.

3. California Flyway

Yes, I understand that the density is between steel and lead.
    My question is has anybody patterned, particularly the 20 gauge loads in #4 shot?

4. AIRBORNE6869

AIRBORNE6869 New Member

Well Sir now you are talking my kinda game. That is Ducks and Geese with the LITTLE GIANT! Most people and hunters especially way underestimate the little giant. The 20ga is a fine waterfowl gauge if matched to the proper shotgun barrel/choke tube and proper loads. Well heck Sir. you ask a specific ? and I am getting carried away. To the ? at hand. A couple weeks ago the state of Missouri had an early Goose season. My Son and I were pass shooting Geese with our 20ga's and holding our own against other shooters. Here are some of the shells we took on this pass shooting trip. Our target was large resident Canada Goose. flying, with a tail wind, to a feed field. Range was between 35 and about 60 yards, anything beyond that we let pass as did other hunters. All Vel were taken off my Chrony a couple week prior to the hunt.
    Favorite load #1: 3" case pushing 1&1/16th of ITX #2 at 1377, extended MOD .606 choke put 11 hits on bird at 50yd's
    Favorite load #2; 3" case pushing 1&1/8th of ITX #2 at 1360, extended Mod .606 choke put 11 hits at 50yd's
    Following loads we took but did not use:
    Kent Tungsten Matrix. 3" case pushing 1&1/8th #3 at 1360. This load would consistently put 59 shot inside a 30" circle at 50yd's.
    Remington Hypersonic. 3" case pushing 7/8 #2 at 1602. This load put 48 shot in 30" at 50yd's but with holes that a small Gosse or Mallard could get by. Sounds pretty cool, like a high power rifle.
    Now for the Hevi X. 3" case pushing 1oz of #2 1226 (not 1400). This load put 57 shot inside 30" at 50yd's but with holes.
    My Son used a W-W pump 20ga with extended Mod choke and his best load was the above ITX 1&1/8 load but his W-W would only get 1275 vel. BUT he could consistently put even spaced hits of 69 holes inside 30" at 50yd's. One of his birds took 15 hits.
    Now I have a lot of trouble doing that with my Gold 10ga.
    I hope this helps answer your ? and if not perhaps it was just interesting reading.

AIRBORNE

5. Dave in AZ

Dave in AZ Senior Refuge Member

Airborne, that was a great answer, super useful field report and even with chrono info! MUCH appreciated, and I think your post will be a great reference for future folks--this is a pretty common question, but there's rarely such a good answer.

6. California Flyway

Thanks for the response Airborne.
    Disappointed to hear the low velocity of the Hevi X at 1,226. Hope that is not typical of HEAVY X loads across their offerings. It would be good to give the company some feedback on that. A number of years ago I bought some Hevi Steel loads that did not have the advertised weight of pellets in the shells. They asked me to send them back to them. They responded I was right and that it was a manufacturing error and replaced them plus some all at their cost including all shipping.. I considered it good customer service.

7. AIRBORNE6869

AIRBORNE6869 New Member

I never thought about sending feed back to the Co. good idea, thanks. But having a much lower vel. than advertised is pretty common in the world of shotguns and I just assumed it was another one of many that didn't add up to advertisement. I have several boxes of 10ga Rem Nitro Steel Magnum that only cross my Chrony at 1180. Not to impressive. I have been trying to find a better choke tube that would handle the bigger shot, (2's-1's-or B) but a Terror is not available. So will continue my pattern work with what I have. Moving over to utilize Lil-Gun as powder for the 2 & 3/4 loads. A work in progress. Making them go real fast is no problem but keeping the pattern together is a real pain.

AIRBORNE

8. Squaller

Squaller Elite Refuge Member

Craig, I have not patterned it.

A member of my club has been shooting the 20 ga. 1 oz loads of #4's and likes it. If they made it in #6's, I would likely purchase it for quail hunting in areas with pheasants.

It appears to be similar to the orginial Hevi-Steel product which was a blend of tungsten and steel. The density of Hevi-X is not being advertised at this point, but on other forums, replies have stated that phone calls to the company would indicate a density of 9.7 gms/cc (which would actually be more dense than either the previous Hevi-steel or Hevi-shot duck loads that got them into so much trouble).

Due to what I consider unethical marketing ploys in the past (including most recently re-releasing Hevi-steel as a completely different shell than the original), I would be hesitant to purchase anything without more information... I would likely however be interested in purchasing Hevi-X #3's for snows and specks if they were ever available.

Tuleman likes this.
  9. California Flyway

Thanks for your reply Squaller.
    I have not been able to find any for sale in sporting goods stores including Kittles.
    When I get a box of the 20 gauge in number 4's I will put it on paper and post it up.
    I just orderrred a Chrony so I will be checking and posting the speed too.

10. Squaller

Squaller Elite Refuge Member

I look forward to your results.

Honestly, I would prefer slower speeds. I would not think it would need to be pushed as fast as steel to maintain downrange energy. My thinking is a bit slower with less recoil, and likely better patterns... But everyone wants speed...