Has anybody patterned the new, hevi tungsten loads?

Discussion in 'Shooting - Reloading Forum' started by California Flyway, Oct 30, 2017.

1. stevenmoorephoto

stevenmoorephoto New Member

That’s very disappointing. You’d think with how much you pay for them you’d at least get consistent, spherical shapes. Thanks for the info!

2. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator Flyway Manager

Also, I do not remember this being a problem with the original Hevi-Steel. I never used it, but I don't remember that being mentioned. I guess I could search. Nawww....
    Makes you wonder if they are trying to save money by not sorting the shot properly. I can live with it not being perfectly spherical, other shot types, including plain steel, aren't, but jeez, at least keep it to 2 shot sizes.

3. gadwall52

gadwall52 Elite Refuge Member

They better sell all they can. If Kent brings out there bismuth loads that are supposed to be competitive with high-end steel loads, I don't think they'll sell many boxes.

4. fowlogic

fowlogic Senior Refuge Member

Speaking of Kent Bismuth. I opened up a Kent 20 ga. #5 Bismuth shell to look at the shot. The shot ranged in size from 0.10 to slightly larger than 0.12 inches. That's size 7 to size 5. Wasn't super round either, but not as non-round as Hevi products. Didn't take a picture. Did weigh the shot however. It came in at 445.5 grains. That's 8 grains over one ounce. Not impressed favorably.

5. 10GAGENUT

10GAGENUT Elite Refuge Member Flyway Manager

Probably a much lighter blend like Hevi Steel, pellet count for 1 1/4 oz of original Hevi should be between 97 to 101 pellets, from what it seems like your getting 10 -11 Gm/Cm in these Hevi X loads which makes it a light weight iron-tungsten blend.

6. Ohio_Waterfowler

Ohio_Waterfowler Refuge Member

If you peel the little stickers off the box that say " 25 waterfowl shotshells " it says "25 STEEL waterfowl shotshells"

I just got 2 boxes of 3" 12ga.#4's in hopes of it being Like the original Hevi Steel loads.

7. tornadochaser

tornadochaser Elite Refuge Member

Which scenario do you think likely happened in the development of this load:

1. Environmetal decided to create a new, round, tungsten based pellet and build a new load around it
    2. Environmetal simply took the existing supply of >10 g/cc tungsten "slag" pellets that they already have "in production" and loaded in the hevimetal line, and created 100% loads of this existing pellet? Cut open a hevimetal and look at the tungsten pellets if you need help deciding.

8. Tuleman

Tuleman Elite Refuge Member

It's already been determined that the density of the Hevi-X shot is approximately 9.7gm/cm.

9. California Flyway

California Flyway Elite Refuge Member

I remember a lot of pellet size differences in the original Hevi Steel

I also remember the shell makers promoting the idea that the heavier than lead shot that had some teardrop shaped pellets, that that "tail" helped them fly through the air better.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2017
  10. Northhunter

Northhunter Refuge Member

This crossed my mind after the first hevi-steel came out. I read an article a couple years later about environmental where they stated they had a botched production run of the original hevi-shot and the density wasn't what it was supposed to be... something like 10,000lbs worth. Made me wonder what they did with all that shot.
    Things that make you go hmmm...