Has anybody patterned the new, hevi tungsten loads?

Discussion in 'Shooting - Reloading Forum' started by California Flyway, Oct 30, 2017.

1. 10GAGENUT

10GAGENUT Elite Refuge Member Sponsor Flyway Manager

Better of with Bismuth for that weight.

2. California Flyway

California Flyway Elite Refuge Member

Any info on when Kent is coming out with a new Bismuth load?

3. tornadochaser

tornadochaser Elite Refuge Member

Kent bismuth was on the shelves at cabelas last time I was there. Are they redesigning that line?

4. gadwall52

gadwall52 Elite Refuge Member

Kent has plans next year to bring out a 25 round box of bismuth shells that will be competitive with premium steel. They are designing a new manufacturing process for bismuth shot.

5. baltz526

baltz526 Senior Refuge Member

I could go out in the shop and open an old 1 1/8oz #2 original hevisteel. But I did it when I bought them. 40% #4/50% #2/10% B is what is in the #2 marked shells.

6. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator Flyway Manager

Well there you have it. Either nobody complained bout it back then, or (and I suspect this is closer to the truth) my memory is failing me again.

7. Squaller

Squaller Elite Refuge Member

Why?

I would think for certain it would depend on the company making the shell and the composition of the Bismuth being used.

My early experience with Bismuth were not good, but I still have and shoot some of the original Hevi-steel (heavier than steel loads), and I do think they are superior to steel. Pellets are a bit oblong, but appear to be generally "roundish" and sized basically correctly (as compared to actual Hevi-shot which comes in a variety of sizes and shapes).

8. JP

JP Elite Refuge Member

Haven't patterned any (yet) from the box of 12 gauge, 2 2/4", 1 1/16 ounce of #4's purchased last week. Did use it (two rounds) on birds this morning. It works the same as the original product. That is it for now.

9. AIRBORNE6869

AIRBORNE6869 Refuge Member

Up date to my post of Nov 4 in which I stated I would check vel and pattern on the 20ga Hevi X 3" 1.0 OZ of #4 shot. The box shows a vel of 1400fps but the highest vel I obtained was through my O/U with a 27.5" barrel and extended choke marked MOD. The best vel I got was 1285 and the 40yd pattern put 62 hits inside the 30" circle. With a total pellet count of 146 the 62 hits is only about 43%. At 40yds I would hope for a better % to put on target.
    Also on a previous post I had some unflattering remarks concerning the 20ga HEVI X 3" 1.0 oz of #2 shot. What I thought was in "all fairness" I would reshoot the patterns and vel for that load just to check. The vel and the pattern did not change very much, but with 1 exception. I got one spike that reached 1341vel but the pattern remained about the same. That spike pattern at 40yds was 67 hits inside a 30"circle for about 74%. The previous patterns at 50yds put 57 hit on paper for about 63%. I checked as best I could, the hull and the wad but could not find any indication of a PSI spike. SO one could assume, perhaps the vel of 1341 is more on the average and the poor performers I got were not the norm. One could also assume, perhaps a great many things regarding my tests of these 2 boxes of shells. But perhaps one should not take my word for it but do their own testing, in their own shotgun to see just what their results would be.

AIRBORNE

10. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator Flyway Manager

Nice info, thanks.

Those hit numbers aren't gonna cut it.