Has anybody patterned the new, hevi tungsten loads?

Discussion in 'Shooting - Reloading Forum' started by California Flyway, Oct 30, 2017.

1. 10GAGENUT

10GAGENUT Elite Refuge Member Flyway Manager

Better of with Bismuth for that weight.

2. California Flyway

California Flyway Elite Refuge Member

Any info on when Kent is coming out with a new Bismuth load?

3. tornadochaser

tornadochaser Elite Refuge Member

Kent bismuth was on the shelves at cabelas last time I was there. Are they redesigning that line?

4. gadwall52

gadwall52 Elite Refuge Member

Kent has plans next year to bring out a 25 round box of bismuth shells that will be competitive with premium steel. They are designing a new manufacturing process for bismuth shot.

5. baltz526

baltz526 Senior Refuge Member

I could go out in the shop and open an old 1 1/8oz #2 original hevisteel. But I did it when I bought them. 40% #4/50% #2/10% B is what is in the #2 marked shells.

6. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator Flyway Manager

Well there you have it. Either nobody complained bout it back then, or (and I suspect this is closer to the truth) my memory is failing me again.

7. Squaller

Squaller Elite Refuge Member

Why?

I would think for certain it would depend on the company making the shell and the composition of the Bismuth being used.

My early experience with Bismuth were not good, but I still have and shoot some of the original Hevi-steel (heavier than steel loads), and I do think they are superior to steel. Pellets are a bit oblong, but appear to be generally "roundish" and sized basically correctly (as compared to actual Hevi-shot which comes in a variety of sizes and shapes).

8. JP

JP Elite Refuge Member

Haven't patterned any (yet) from the box of 12 gauge, 2 2/4", 1 1/16 ounce of #4's purchased last week. Did use it (two rounds) on birds this morning. It works the same as the original product. That is it for now.