Has anybody patterned the new, hevi tungsten loads?

Discussion in 'Shooting - Reloading Forum' started by California Flyway, Oct 30, 2017.

1. JP

JP Elite Refuge Member

As previously mentioned, with a handful of these fired through the Satin Hunter, scoring was noted in the lower barrel. Was able to to polish it out with steel wool and oil. Has anyone else noted such findings?

2. 10GAGENUT

10GAGENUT Elite Refuge Member Sponsor Flyway Manager

Keep in mind what it says on the box is not necessarily what you will get for velocities, there re no rules, regulations or laws governing this as you probably know already.
    I don't know how Environmetal does their shot shell testing, however other manufacturers such as Federal and Remington average out velocities from testing several batches of a shell usually 100 at a time, Federal at one time was using 200 round averages from what I've read. You start averaging out several hundred rounds and eventually you get the velocities your looking for, that doesn't mean what they put out for sale is running the advertised velocity, just some of rounds they tested did.

3. AIRBORNE6869

AIRBORNE6869 Refuge Member

That is precisely why every shooter with each and every new load should test same in THEIR gun, don't rely on advertisement claims.

AIRBORNE

4. baltz526

baltz526 Senior Refuge Member

Yes very hard Hevishot will mar barrels when a wad relief cut, lines up with a pellet just right. Steel pellets will also do it. The worst I have seen came from Steel shot and a wad I suspect was missing a section. Or was folded inside the wad so steel shot was on top of it.

5. JP

JP Elite Refuge Member

^^^ The interesting thing is the only barrel scoring I've noted with non-toxic loads resulted from EMI products. The first was from the original cartridges they sent to a group of us from the "old" WF.com days. Now, the "new" HEVI (tungsten) product rendered the same result.