Has anyone used a Vista Sage 62"-Take-Down Bow?

Discussion in 'Bow Hunting Forum' started by Creek Henry, Aug 29, 2012.

1. Creek Henry

Creek Henry Elite Refuge Member

... from Cabelas? The reviews on it are positive and the price is right.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Vista-Sage-62-Take-Down-Bow/1202681.uts?Ntk=AllProducts&searchPath=%2Fcatalog%2Fsearch.cmd%3Fform_state%3DsearchForm%26N%3D0%26fsch%3Dtrue%26Ntk%3DAllProducts%26Ntt%3Drecurve%26WTz_l%3DHeader%253BSearch-All%2BProducts%26x%3D10%26y%3D8&Ntt=recurve&WTz_l=Header%3BSearch-All+Products

Also, as a noob, how can I tell what pull to get on a bow? Just for fun last night, I bent over and picked up a 40lb dumbell with one hand and held it to my cheek for a minute... is that a way to test one's relative strength or just some hooey I read somewhere?

2. Creek Henry

I wound up getting the 25lb PSE instead. It was $109 and they have a bunch at the Texas Archery Academy so I know they are rugged.

So far, the bow does what it is supposed to with no problems. Once I learn to shoot it very well, I'll think about getting the trigger release and moving up to a 35 or 45lb recurve. I might get a compound bow some day but unless I'm going to hunt deer or hog, I don't see the need.

3. JHerr

JHerr Elite Refuge Member

I tried once to use my release with my recurve and it was pretty weird. My idea of shooting a recurve is much like throwing a rock, snap shooter.

4. Creek Henry

Very true; you don't see Byron Ferguson shooting moving targets or thrown asprin with a compress :)