Hastings Island Hunting Preserve Thoughts?

Discussion in 'California Flyway Forum' started by Sig, Aug 8, 2018.

1. Sig

Sig New Member

Good morning all,

Just wondering if anyone has been a member or have been hunting on Hasting Island? If so, what are your thoughts? Do they offer any guided hunts? Is there any other Preserves in Northern CA that offer better Pheasant hunting?

Any input or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

2. Johnny Ringo

Johnny Ringo Elite Refuge Member

Used to be great, as they kept the numbers down. It's way crowded there on the weekends now. If you can hunt mid week, you'll find it to be a very enjoyable experience. They release birds, instead of planting them which makes it much more sporting. Hate hunting planted clubs, unless it's specifically for training. Another nice thing is, your card only gets punched if you harvest birds. A lot of the other clubs punch your card on the plant and then have a minimum amount birds that you have to plant on each hunt day, for you and your guests. A 20 bird card could be gone in just a few hunts that way. With Hastings, you can show up and shoot one bird or all of the birds on your card.

3. Sig

Sig New Member

Thanks for your input, Johnny! Do you know of any place that is not too crowded on the weekends?

4. Dek

Dek Elite Refuge Member

I was a member for many years and rejoined this year to teach my new dog what a pheasant is. Now I have been our for 5 years or so, but I never really had much of an issue on weekends. Late in the season as guys are trying to fill out their card, now that is a different story. My Dad and I learned to not wait until the last month if possible. It ain't cheap, but what is these days!

5. Sig

Sig New Member

Are you from Folsom?

6. Dek

Dek Elite Refuge Member

Yes I live in Folsom, feel free to PM me with any questions.

7. J.Bennett

J.Bennett Elite Refuge Member

My dad and I were members there for years. Used to be great. About 20 years ago, it really went downhill (at least in my opinion). There was a change in management (the guy running it was a jerk) and they started steadily decreasing the area that was open to hunting and they do nothing to limit how many people are in the field or how spread out they are. They also do things that encourage crowding issues like releasing birds while hunters are in the field (everyone converges on the field where the birds are released and it turns into a free for all). I've been back a few times since, and the management in place now is great, but I wouldn't buy a card there if you gave it to me for half off.

When I quit Hastings, I joined Camanche Hills. There is an initial buy in and $200 in annual dues that have to be paid in addition to your birds, but the quality of the experience is far superior to Hastings. They limit how many can hunt each zone, there is a mid-day break when you have to be out of the field so they can release more birds, and they mow strips in the fields (which doesn't sound like a big deal, but it gives hunting parties a direction in which to work, so when you have multiple parties in the same zone, they aren't constantly running into each other like they would be at Hastings).

If you can regularly hunt weekdays, Hastings probably isn't a bad option, but if you can only hunt weekends, I would look elsewhere.

8. EL GURU

EL GURU Senior Refuge Member

I agree with all the points brought up. It can turn into a circus at times but since I live in Vacaville I can avoid that easily. I primarily take kids hunting and for that experience Hastings fits the bill.

9. Sig

Sig New Member

I live in Vacaville also. Have you ever been hunting at Quail Point off of 505? It’s only like 25 minutes north of Vacaville.

10. Red foot

Red foot Elite Refuge Member

I have enjoyed my experiences at Hastings. It's a big place with numerous parking areas. If you can walk, you can get away from crowding. That said, I've seen disabled guys hunt from a quad!

Be aware, the ticks come out pretty thick in March. And remember, bird cleaning is an additional $3/bird, which adds up when you itemize a 20 bird card.