Have any of you hunted the Freitas boat unit?

Discussion in 'California Flyway Forum' started by freefall319, Sep 25, 2011.

1. freefall319

freefall319 Senior Refuge Member

I drew it a few time's last season but I was never able to make it down there due to us either getting a better draw or work. I was thinking about heading down there to do some scouting pretty soon but before I make the 2 hour drive I thought I'd see if I could get some general feedback.

Most of the guy's I've talked to that have hunted it said to ditch the boat and walk in to the various ponds that are there. I'm not a fan of doing things like that, the one time I took too many shell's into a refuge I got checked (the 2nd time in 20 years) and got to pay $200 for it. So I'll be sticking to the boat.

For those of you who have hunted it is there any advice you could give me?

Area's to avoid, snag's or submerged stuff to avoid, I don't have a surface drive and would rather not rip the lower unit off.

What kind of birds use that area?

Any kind of advice would be appricitated.

2. Kevin Burroughs

Kevin Burroughs Elite Refuge Member

Just a heads up, you can only have 25 shells per person in the boat.

Good luck without scouting, go burn some fuel and learn the river.

If I was a boating man, and I am, I would be looking to find a place to launch around Chowchilla or Dos Palos.

----------kevin------------

3. freitas outlaw

freitas outlaw Elite Refuge Member

If your worried about hitting your lower unit, Freitas isn't the place for you. It's not about when it's going to be about how bad, the river is shallow and full of sand bars and snags. Run it during day light and learn it:reader:reader

4. freefall319

Thanks for the heads up on the depth. I know some of the area's up here that I hunt are deceptively shallow so that's good to know.

I'll be hitting it durring the day and saving some points in the GPS. If I do draw this season I'll post up and see if anyone want's to head out with me.

I'd even be interested in swapping a spec, rice blind or open water hunt too.

5. MAKAIRA

MAKAIRA Elite Refuge Member

Not sure you can run the refuge part before the season!

6. freefall319

I'll look into that, It may not be, I just hit Grey Lodge the other day but that place is run differently, thanks.

7. MAKAIRA

MAKAIRA Elite Refuge Member

I know some people that got busted a few years ago the day before the opener:dvAlso dont leave anything valuable in your truck.Not sure you need a resi for many days other than the opener.

8. AJCsurf

AJCsurf Elite Refuge Member

the parking lot is right off 165, easily seen while driving by, I know I would feel uneasy leaving anything in my truck....

9. mark seaters

mark seaters Elite Refuge Member

Your so right .. between lower unit damage and truck damage/thief in the parking lot them ducks sure do cost alot per pound just to shoot a bunch of teal and spoonies.. !!!

I hunted it once with Outlaw..:nutz.. we killed some teal, a couple ring necks ..I even left my windows down and truck doors unlocks, so they would not break all my windows to find I left nothing in the truck... :mad:

10. DuckFan

DuckFan Elite Refuge Member

GREAT Advice