Big Game Hunting Forum Sponsors

Have any of you shot lead free .300 Savage?

Discussion in 'Big Game Hunting Forum' started by callinfowl, Apr 3, 2018.

1. callinfowl

callinfowl Kalifornia Forum

If so where did you find them and which bullet did you have the best luck with?
    Thanks to CA new lead free laws and no online ordering I have a feeling that my favorite gun just became a range shooter only.......at least I bought a lifetime supply of hunting ammo for all of my guns. The messed up thing is they are all lead rounds and useless to me in this jacked up commie state.:mad::mad::mad:
    What I'm hoping for is to find some lead free rounds at bass pro or sportsmens and have them delivered to a store in CA.
    Thanks for your help.
    Dan

2. Winchester 1897

Winchester 1897 Elite Refuge Member

3. Sprig Hunter

Sprig Hunter Senior Refuge Member

A year or so ago my hunting partner couldn’t find lead free ammo for his .300 Savage, ended up having to reload.

4. callinfowl

callinfowl Kalifornia Forum

I really don't want to but it looks like I might need to start, I'd be starting from scratch. I have never reloaded rifle or pistol ammo. Heck I wouldn't even know where to start.
    These new CA laws are reallypissing me off, all it's doing is pricing people with fixed incomes out of the game. I wonder how much the fine is for shooting Lead.;):l:l:l

5. Winchester 1897

Winchester 1897 Elite Refuge Member

With lead bullets, reloading is fairly easy. But with the copper crap, i don't know. I think im gonna keep applying in this god forsaken state until i draw out on every, which probably wont happen on elk since im way behind in the point game. After that Nevada and Utah will get my big game dollars...

callinfowl likes this.
  6. igo4dux75

igo4dux75 Senior Refuge Member

Reloading, extremely easy to do. You can get into the equipment for around 2-300$ for a basic setup. Powder is around 30$ ish a pound. Bullets can be from 20-40$ ish per 50 depending on your needs, (.30 cal Barnes TSX all copper 35$/50) Hornady, Speer, Sierra are cheaper then the premium stuff.
    Once you get it figured out, you will never look back. You will never be at the mercy of the retail rifle ammunition gang again, other then rimfire. You can build a PREMIUM load, for a fraction off the cost, as long as you think ahead and buy components like powder/primers when you find it.
    I started reloading 20 years ago, every 4 legged critter myself or my daughter have killed since then have been taken with a reloaded cartridge of some caliber. It is a point of pride, especially when I browse the ammunition isle and see how much a box of .300 Weatherby costs!

callinfowl likes this.