Have been using 125 gr bear broadhead, should I use..

Discussion in 'Bow Hunting Forum' started by jrothWA, Sep 4, 2017.

1. jrothWA

jrothWA Senior Refuge Member

145 gr heads to get some additional pentration / lower flight line???

Not quite sure what to do??

2. Archeryrob

Archeryrob Elite Refuge Member

It is going to weaken your spine by 5 pounds, so it might affect your arrow flight a lot more than just a lower trajectory.

What kind of shafts are you using, bow and draw weight? If you are using wood, switching to Ash shafts can get you about a 60 grain arrow and if you can't kill it with that it will be time to buy a crossbow.

3. widgeon

widgeon Elite Refuge Member

Not really enough information to go on. What's the issue?
    That being said, the broadhead weight is rarely a huge problem.

4. jrothWA

jrothWA Senior Refuge Member

Ben Perwson recurve, 48#@ 28"draw, my draw is 29, using Easton 1816 Gamegetter, with 125 gr field point, should I go the a heavier broadhead than the 125 I have?
    Totatl grain of arrow shaft and 125field point is: 427grs.

If I go with a old Bear broad head, 125gr., would the be an advantage to go with a heavier broad head, and get a lower rise in trajectory??

Thanks for reposnes.

JHR

5. Archeryrob

Archeryrob Elite Refuge Member

People have filled aluminum arrows with foam and even sand to make them heavier. I spotted using aluminum with a trad bow 20 years ago when I drew on a doe and she heard the arrow slide across that faux fur rest it had on the shelf. I switched to wood after that and its hard to make an arrow that is under 500 grains for me and most are 550. You can increase you head weight but its going to dynamically soften the spine on your arrows by 5# for every 25 grains of increase and might affect arrow flight more than just trajectory.

Have you looked at the Easton arrow chart? I did and you are shooting an arrow designed for shorter draws like 25" - 26" with lighter heads. You're shooting too soft a spine already and you're gonna make it softer with a heavy head. You should be using one of these below probably.

Code:

I'm not an expert on aluminum arrows, but I think you got the wrong ones.

6. Call'em N

Call'em N Senior Refuge Member Sponsor

Look into the Valkery shooting system. From everything I have seen and heard he takes the time to truly help guys out that want to shoot super heavy heads and extreme FOC.

https://www.valkyriearchery.com/

7. Jeffer

Jeffer Elite Refuge Member

Having a properly tuned set-up and sharp, sharp, sharp broadheads is the key. I have never worried about specific numbers, just how they are flying and how sharp.

Call'em N likes this.