Decoy Forum Sponsors

Have plastic decoys peaked in realism?

Discussion in 'Decoy Forum' started by Clayton, Apr 13, 2018.

1. Clayton

Clayton Moderator Moderator

Well have they????

2. calling4life

calling4life Elite Refuge Member

No, but if you are talking about mass production plastic decoys that have to be run through mass production processes, molds, tolerances etc... maybe

You'd also have to go species by species, but I suppose if we're just talking about shape/detail of the actual plastic body/head, not taking into account the paint/glass eyes/raised feathers and such, ehh, again, mass production muddies the waters, but could a guy one off better looking decoys, sure.

My favorite decoys are still the old ghg full body sleepers on those real leg retractable bases. It still hurts my heart to not have some of them, but I have no use for them. My 4 dsd cacklers just lay collecting dust with the 3 dozen sillosock black and whites I have.

DSD, replicas, they are about as good as a guy could expect for production decoys I think

3. murdock255

murdock255 Senior Refuge Member

I hear those retractable bases are coming bank!

4. Tuleman

Tuleman Elite Refuge Member

I think so. At least the Avian-X and GHG ProGrades are about as realistic in body/head shapes, positions, and coloration as a mass-produced decoy can be.
    As an old decoy carver, I am familiar with real ducks, with $15,000 championship-winning decoy carvings, and modern commercial decoys. Some of the later (see statement above) very accurately depict the first one mentioned (real ducks). All the other decoy makers have a ways to go yet....

5. Mean Gene

Mean Gene Moderator Moderator Flyway Manager

They will keep putting out new "more realistic" decoys until you run out of money and stop buying them. At that point you can go back to your "unrealistic" decoys and continue to kill ducks just fine.

6. Clayton

I am at the “run out of money and stop buying them” stage! LOL

Mean Gene likes this.
  7. GUNNERX2

GUNNERX2 Elite Refuge Member

Surely they will be tweaked and sold as the latest, greatest...ever. If they don't, they will loose market position. I still have a few of the 1st decoys I ever purchased, 40 years ago, and they still get some hunt time. The last I purchased were AvianX and they will be the last that I buy. I just don't have that many more years left to hunt.

Billy Bob likes this.
  8. CA Birdman

CA Birdman Elite Refuge Member

No because 90% of decoys sold are still head upright versus at least the look I want is to look like you are the feed/loaf area where 90% should be feeders, sleepers, etc.

Keith McGowan and Ringbill like this.
  9. Clayton

2FDB2D5D-3B04-426D-89BE-D809CB51AA8F.jpeg 90% of my spread are resters, feeders or sleepers. I mostly try to immitate the above picture. It is not at all unusual to find a sleeper or two amongst a flock of feeding ducks.

Cocklebur likes this.
  10. Billy Bob

Billy Bob Elite Refuge Member

GHG has the best variety of poses and better profiles but they need to be more durable and colors are off on many species. AvianX are more durable but lack poses and need work on the colors, the wigeon are a great example, many are too dark as well. Both have too much feather detail (AvianX is ridiculous and so are GHG hens) because live ducks do not have deep cuts it their feathering. I know this is to make painting easier but it is not realistic. IMO still quite a bit of improvement to be made in what I consider the 2 best mass produced duck decoys.

Ringbill and Tuleman like this.