Have plastic decoys peaked in realism?

Discussion in 'Decoy Forum' started by Clayton, Apr 13, 2018.

1. Tuleman

Tuleman Elite Refuge Member

You're right...and I've said it time and time again. :tu

2. Rick Hall

Rick Hall Elite Refuge Member

Current Google Earth satellite photo of my marsh pothole was taken during our season last December, and zooming in shows the light decoys quite plainly but not the dark ones. So if you're flight is really, really, really high...

3. mpkowal

mpkowal Elite Refuge Member

We all know location is KEY,and if they want to be in a certain spot bad ,sometimes even gunfire won't stop them,and this has been beaten to death but I personally take pride in a good looking spread.My friends even say I go to extremes with every last detail ,I would rather be like that than a lazy hunter.

4. Fsbirdhouse

Fsbirdhouse Senior Refuge Member

A promise given is a promise kept.
    Told Son and Son-in-Law last Fall I'd be splitting up most of my gear between the two of them after last season.
    Son-in-Law bought my trailer, only part of their decoys have been picked up as yet by either of them, but now that my health is improving, I have decided to buy another dozen floaters to flock myself. (I enjoy doing it)
    I'm thinking this group of Avian X
    https://www.cabelas.com/product/hun...mallard-duck-decoys-pack/2308912.uts?slotId=0
    The drake's heads are already done, but I can copy exactly every other detail on both drakes and hens by the method I use.
    Fine lines on the head as here. Or
    IMG_0929.JPG
    These dashes which is what I settled on the first time IMG_1011.JPG
    The Avian X hens have the fine lines molded into the heads, but I'm not sure about doing that when I get mine.

5. Mean Gene

Mean Gene Moderator Moderator Flyway Manager

The duck hunting formula:

Given a duck hunter who perceives that details count above all else:
    An enlightened duck hunter + wallet - money = new decoys

6. Billy Bob

Billy Bob Elite Refuge Member

downsize15.jpg

Part of he 2018-2019 decoy set. I guarantee they will land birds at 20 yards from opening day until the last day of season 107 days later.

7. Fsbirdhouse

I'm sure some will decoy to those. Some... have been decoying to rough hewn blocks for centuries.
    We flock for the more discerning bird, and for our own edification...as you well know!

Tuleman likes this.
  8. Billy Bob

Billy Bob Elite Refuge Member

The more discerning bird....You crack me up. :l :l :l The flocking only fools the hunter and it does it job well apparently. Realism is only for the hunter and like flocking it is best for luring money out of a hunters pocket. I've never thought, "man, if only my decoys looked more realistic that flock would have decoyed". I think, did I move or moon face them? Maybe I should improve my hide, maybe I should adjust the spread, maybe I should relocate, maybe I called too much or at the wrong time or too loud or called at all. Those junker decoys in my pic finish birds just as well as any other decoys in my shed, from pro series to birds I carved myself. I actually had a group of hunters ask me about my decoys after watching birds finish in the junkers all morning and when I showed them what I was using they didn't believe it. :l

9. Fsbirdhouse

You seem to have decoyed to facetious.

10. mpkowal

mpkowal Elite Refuge Member

Way to many big words to put on a duck hunting forum.