Have plastic decoys peaked in realism?

Discussion in 'Decoy Forum' started by Clayton, Apr 13, 2018.

1. Billy Bob

Billy Bob Elite Refuge Member

I just have a grip on the reality of a duck having a brain the size of a peanut....

2. Tuleman

Tuleman Elite Refuge Member

I do know this: if I use the most realistic decoys I can obtain, I never have to worry about my decoys being the reason that last flock flew right on by.....
    Decoys are way down on the list of importance. Having said that, using the best decoys never hurts, can only help.

Cocklebur and sacbob like this.
  3. EWUEagles

EWUEagles Senior Refuge Member

I hate to say this but I think I agree with Tuleman.

Tuleman likes this.
  4. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator Flyway Manager

That is 'my' reason for going flocked. All my duck dekes are fully flocked, and my goose dekes and silos are flocked on the black. ANY time I talk on this topic, I make it clear I can not prove the flocking matters. I DO believe it certainly doesn't hurt. So, if the birds flare, I know it isn't shine, or much anything else related to decoys. I can concentrate on other factors, which are probably the reason anyway (moving, not well hidden, camo (brushing) looks out of place.

I am thinking about the Dakota Packables. Not crazy about the profiles, and they wouldn't be flocked, but they would be a LOT lighter getting to some of the places I go. Getting to a better spot more than off-sets any differences in decoys.

sacbob likes this.
  5. Billy Bob

I guess the hundreds of limits I have killed over junkers the last 35 years are why I don't think realism matters at all.

6. Fsbirdhouse

Fsbirdhouse Senior Refuge Member

You have to be careful where that might lead. A man can make hundreds of babies with an ugly woman too.
    But.......never allowed the opportunity to arise, for reasons that needn't be explained.

Tuleman likes this.
  7. Rick Hall

Rick Hall Elite Refuge Member

Can't help but wonder why a man of your bent would trouble himself with 50-60 dozen decoys to fool a bird with a brain the size of a pea?

8. Mean Gene

Mean Gene Moderator Moderator Flyway Manager

Realism may have peaked, but internet arguing over nothing certainly hasn't. :l:l

Use whatever flavor you want. :tu:tu

Cocklebur likes this.
  9. Billy Bob

Who says I use 50-60 dozen? Most times I use 24decoys or less. I have several different rigs of each specie with different anchor systems Texas rigs, wrap around keel, longlines, silos, shells, full bodies, each for different conditions. It's very rare for me to use more than 3 dozen. The reason I have so many decoys is that I can't resist buying them. :z :l I buy realistic decoys because "I" enjoy looking at them sometimes not because I believe they're needed. Oh, and it's more like 100 dozen decoys lol

Try again.

You keep worrying about realism and I'll keep killing limits over any ol' decoy I am using with my factory choke tubes, $15 call and cheap steel ammo. :yes

Last edited: Jun 5, 2018
  10. Fsbirdhouse

Fsbirdhouse Senior Refuge Member

Gene has it.
    We do disagree/argue more than necessary.
    Billy Bob is right too. We have, or sometimes just want the best looking we can get because we do enjoy looking at 'em.
    Nothing about that will drive a duck away, whether it brings 'em closer...I like to think it does.