Decoy Forum Sponsors

Have plastic decoys peaked in realism?

Discussion in 'Decoy Forum' started by Clayton, Apr 13, 2018.

1. Rick Hall

Rick Hall Elite Refuge Member

If you just like buying decoys, I guess that's cool. Some folks golf.

But apparently unlike you, my parties don't always kill limits, and I do worry about the birds that won't finish front and center for them, rather than dwelling on those that do. Lots of reasons some don't, but I try to keep not doing the best I know how to get them there from being one of them. That includes using what I feel the best decoys (and calls) for the job.

But I do shoot cheap steel through my factory choked 20ga, if that gets me any Billy Bob points.

2. Rick Hall

Of course we're arguing just for the hell of it. Does anyone really give a hoot what the next guy uses? Well, yes, I do. Would tickle me if everyone took Billy Bob's argument to heart. But I can't paint decoys in the dark, so here I sit.

Also don't know with great certainty that any duck ever pushed off any decoy, but have certainly seen enough finishing specks bounce hard off of the DSDs many think the most realistic of decoys and flare back over our blinds to believe some tiny brains are pretty darn good at recognizing trouble.

3. Mean Gene

Mean Gene Moderator Moderator Flyway Manager

What we really need is a "blah blah blah" emoji. :l

4. Rick Hall

Would complaining be as much fun in shorthand?

Tuleman and QuaaackerJack like this.
  5. Fsbirdhouse

Fsbirdhouse Senior Refuge Member

A guide has a whole different perspective on creating circumstances that will get his clients into a good shoot.
    There must be a certain pressure on every hunt the rest of us don't experience.
    Last year, for the first time in years, I went out several times with others on their hunts. They were all folk that usually hunt with me in my spots. We all understand not every hunt is gonna be limits, but I could see how relaxed they were when the first two were just that in Spades.
    I hunt with fairly large groups from four to six guns, rarely more, and on average we bag 4-5 birds per gun. Unless that drops below one bird per gun I seldom feel a let down. We always have a good time, and then off to the house for cups full of 'aiming fluid' and finger foods. Every hunt a success either in the field, or at the house later.
    Whatever happens, we know we employed the best gear and tactics we could muster for the hunt, and that is all anyone can do.

6. EWUEagles

EWUEagles Senior Refuge Member

I don't know if decoys have fully reached their limits in reality but I can tell you with the new prices Avian are charging for decoys I think they reached their limits of me buying any more decoys from them. GHG is supposed to have a new line coming out and if they are close to the 100 bucks for 6 mark I'm done and I'll just go back to repainting old G&H's.

Mean Gene and Clayton like this.
  7. JuvieCoot

JuvieCoot Elite Refuge Member

Pressured specks bounce hard when finishing into other live specks, not just DSDs