Decoy Forum Sponsors

Have plastic decoys peaked in realism?

Discussion in 'Decoy Forum' started by Clayton, Apr 13, 2018.

1. Tuleman

Tuleman Elite Refuge Member

You've described my area precisely, and yet the consistently successful hunters put in a fair amount of effort scouting. They do not waste time trying to "run traffic".

2. Tuleman

Yes, there is such a thing, and it isn't a very successful way to hunt.
    "Running traffic" is how the guys describe their methods when they don't have an X to hunt on.

3. Rick Hall

Rick Hall Elite Refuge Member

Not hard to "scout" a fellow's whole little field from the blind or point in moving a hundred yards this way or that.

4. Rick Hall

Rick Hall Elite Refuge Member

Psst, we've averaged roughly 1,100 birds a season for the past twelve from a marsh mudhole from which we've moved birds exactly six times over that period - and always when decoys were also in it.

Most successful field blind I'm aware of is hunted twice a day most every day - but is surrounded by over 2,500 decoys. Reckon those boys would be bummed to learn that decoys aren't an attraction.

Whole lot of ways to kill a duck.

Last edited: May 10, 2018
  5. marshmob

marshmob Elite Refuge Member

Decoys
    Calling
    .....in that order

Regarding decoys, I run Avians and Dakota’s for puddlers but my most successful spread is 3dz old flambeaus painted like coots and 1dz mallards in the money hole!!!

Cocklebur likes this.
  6. Fsbirdhouse

Fsbirdhouse Senior Refuge Member

Yes.
    One spot I hunt does have a great many local birds that use it, and also bring new arrivals with them, but at the same time, the spot is so situated that many newly arrived birds that are unaware locals are using the field respond very nicely to our decoys because they seem to know they are very near their annual gathering location after their migration.

7. Billy Bob

Billy Bob Elite Refuge Member

If decoys don't attract birds please explain how I kill birds in places I have never seen a bird sit. I often hunt traffic when in areas full of birds and no access to good spots and am moderately successful and rarely walk away without 2-5 birds in hand. It takes a bit more killing traffic birds with decoys than it does to be on the X where decoys are a finishing tool. If birds are not attracted to decoys why do you need decoys when sitting on the X?

8. EWUEagles

EWUEagles Senior Refuge Member

First off everyone knows locations is the most important but not everyone gets to hunt the X every day. You discounting decoys as a tool that draws birds is completely ridiculous. Running traffic is and can be very successful. What do you do if a field is holding birds and the farmer doesn't allow hunting? Rick also gave examples of using decoys to draw in a ton of bird. I know when I layout hunt for divers I don't always set up where they are. I can set between two groups and shoot birds.

Billy Bob likes this.
  9. Billy Bob

Billy Bob Elite Refuge Member

Hunting between 2 large groups is a very smart tactic.

IMO setting up on the X is stupid and real hunters don't do it because they know it will burn the area. A guy can get many good hunts without burning the X. Something that MANY hunters overlook because of their greed for 1 good hunt.

Ringbill and EWUEagles like this.
  10. Tuleman

You don't. We've already told you: they are finishers, not attractors.

How about this: if birds are attracted to decoys, why then doesn't every bird that flies by your spread sit down in it?
    Since they most certainly do NOT, one has to conclude that they are NOT drawn in by decoys.
    If they didn't want to be there in the first place, they won't be there, decoys or no decoys.