Have plastic decoys peaked in realism?

Discussion in 'Decoy Forum' started by Clayton, Apr 13, 2018.

1. Fsbirdhouse

Fsbirdhouse Senior Refuge Member

Every time I go out, I hunt the X. I just don't hunt the same X every time.
    I have several and rarely hunt the same field more than twice a week with days between.
    My Honey Hole is unique. I can hunt it three times a week as long as it isn't more than two days running.

Tuleman likes this.
  2. Billy Bob

Billy Bob Elite Refuge Member

Why doesn't every human buy the same products and shop at the same stores? Is advertising not just a way to lure in customers and money out of ones wallet just like a decoy is a way to lure in ducks??

Different flocks are searching for different things. 1 may be looking for a good place to feed, another may be looking for a place to loaf. Maybe something doesn't look right with the decoys or hide? Maybe they have been shot at in areas where other birds are sitting? They ARE drawn in to decoys as proven by those of us that hunt traffic. Ducks CAN be pulled to areas they were just going to fly over, I do it often and so do many others. Have you never hunted traffic birds? Seriously, if decoys don't attract birds how do we kill them in areas they aren't using? Food for thought?

The response to this should be interesting. :l

3. sacbob

sacbob Elite Refuge Member

Food for thought ... Ralph Coykendall in his classic book "Duck Decoys and How To Rig Them", in the chapter "What is a good decoy" says ...
    "Good decoys are not exact copies of ducks. There is something of a cartoon about them in that their size, shape, or painting are sometimes exaggerated. ..."

Ringbill and Billy Bob like this.
  4. Rick Hall

Rick Hall Elite Refuge Member

Hear, hear.

5. Ringbill

Ringbill Elite Refuge Member Flyway Manager

RALF WOULD CERTAINLY LOVE THESE DAKOTA DECOYS!!

Ringbill

Tuleman likes this.
  6. Rick Hall

Rick Hall Elite Refuge Member

Don't know about Ralph, but ducks do.

7. Tuleman

Tuleman Elite Refuge Member

You are anthropomorphizing the ducks. Ducks are not humans and do not have the same ability for logic. Again, ducks are not humans. They react to situations like a duck does, not like a human does.

How do you know the ducks you killed were "just flying over"? How does anyone know?

If you killed them, then they must have been in the area. The only other explanation is that you have an extremely long-range gun.

8. Billy Bob

You are twisting words just for sake of argument. How do you know the ducks aren't just flying over? How do you know they were using the area and not just flying through? You are right though, ducks are not human BUT they can be lured in in similar ways. Twist words all you want but it doesn't change the fact that ducks are drawn in by decoys.

9. Billy Bob

Wrong. The way you use the word "finishers" means "attract" them to the place you want to kill them.

10. Tuleman

Tuleman Elite Refuge Member

Then, I guess, you win.