Have plastic decoys peaked in realism?

Discussion in 'Decoy Forum' started by Clayton, Apr 13, 2018.

1. Glades Ranger

Glades Ranger Elite Refuge Member

I have both magnum and "life-size" plastic decoys...do any of you mix these and is there any strategy/rationale for how you set them out? I've tried putting the magnums as outliers and life-size closer in- is this logical or is there any "science" for the opposite setup?

2. Fowler267

Fowler267 Elite Refuge Member

I never worried much about the size difference. If at all, I would put the larger decoys up wind to make the whole spread look larger. I do put my best decoys where I try to make the birds land. Put them in the sun if hunting a hole etc.

3. Glades Ranger

Glades Ranger Elite Refuge Member

Ok, similar thinking...I usually put my cork ones in the "zone".

4. salthunter

salthunter Moderator Moderator

Decoys have made some amazing changes over the years.
    Since Im more of a goose hunter than duck hunter the past 15 years The changes have been incredible.
    I believe much better decoys could still be made.
    I prefer the look of my 2-piece DSD Honkers over the new 1-piece decoys. But I prefer the size of the new.
    Paint quality will likely improve.
    A few decoys I have always likes it the "swan decoy" by what ever company is producing it. I also like the usability of my G and H teal decoys.
    I just wish there was a stackable mid-sized sleeper goose "shell" style decoy that looked like the DSD full body sleeper!

5. Billy Bob

Billy Bob Elite Refuge Member

I always put the larger decoys in close when I mix because looking at those large decoys can cause issues with range estimation. (sometimes they seem to appear closer because they are large) I like to have the life size birds where I want to take the shot, theory being that when the ducks appear near the size of the decoys I know what range they are.

6. Rick Hall

Rick Hall Elite Refuge Member

At least to my eye, mixing sizes in a spread helps add to it's illusion of life. So when I used both magnum and "life-sized" mallards, I mixed them.

(Now just scatter a few teal among my little pods of mallards for the same effect.)