Having issues with a polar Kraft tunnel 1860

Discussion in 'Boats, Blinds, & Gadgets Forum' started by DeLaGwyn, May 6, 2018.

1. DeLaGwyn

DeLaGwyn New Member

The motor trimmed down all the way is pretty negative. The pictures that is trimmed up some. The weight I will try. Leaving the motor trimmed all the way down cause water to spray over the back of the transom

2. calling4life

calling4life Elite Refuge Member

Compression plate, don't go with a small whale tail type plate, you have a tunnel, you want all or as much of that water around that prop and lower unit, Bob's stabilizer plates are not what we're talking about.

Porpoising, can be helped by that plate, also, throw a lot of weight up front, aim to have enough weight up there to make you think you won't be able to lift the bow at all. You can always grab a bag of sand/cement/person, whatever and have them move back if you have too much weight up there.

Deal with the spray of the motor if it helps you figure out how it needs to run, that spray will be eliminated by a good compression plate as well, it can also be eliminated in other ways, if it's really the end of your world, buy a simple shield to deflect it for now, he!!, a tote lid could be secured to the transom and overhang to block it away for now.

Example of compression plate

Now watch this video, this is the Trans Sport Boats compression plate, it's what I have, notice, until he gets up and trimmed right, he has spray shooting up, but then, when on plane, look at how cleanly this plate holds the water around that prop and lower unit and how clean the water even comes out of it. Fantastic example of what they're meant to do.

3. calling4life

You can also mess with props, cleaver style props are props that lift the rear of the boat, so a cleaver with surface piercing cup may kill a couple birds with the one stone.

4. DeLaGwyn

DeLaGwyn New Member

Going to look into that. Power tech props gave me a option on one.

5. DeLaGwyn

DeLaGwyn New Member

I’ve also been trying to find those compression plates I can’t find them

6. calling4life

The Tran Sport boats one is transportboats.com, it isn't a glamorous site and you need to call them, it seems to be a guy and his wife, Asian, and it was tough for me to understand them at times. Guy custom made mine because he had never made one for a motor that small, works great.

Company has a sterling reputation for their boats too, it just may take a couple calls to get ahold of someone.

Here's a ShawWing http://stiffypushpoles.com/shawwing-cavitation-plates
    Boat Right is boatrightmarine.com, may have to call them too, but look at their boats and their pictures of them and you'll see the compression plates. Another company whose boats are known to be at the very top.

Some will bolt through your anti-vent plate, some have a clamp on style system that doesn't require holes. Mine bolts through, I never minded having to do that.

7. DeLaGwyn

DeLaGwyn New Member

Thanks for all the help I was on boat rights page yesterday wasn’t sure if that was the same thing or not but yes they have very nice boats.

8. calling4life

If it actually helps, you're welcome, if all I did was confuse the situation or spend your money, I'm sorry.
    If you want to pay it back, when you get this thing running right and running skinny, I'd love to see some videos of her doing just that, it's a type of video I just can't seem to get enough of.
    I am also hoping in the future to step into a bigger tunnel hull boat, so I like seeing examples of how the different varieties can run and there aren't too many good videos done on well set up aluminum duck boat tunnels.

9. DeLaGwyn

DeLaGwyn New Member

Trust me I know I’ve been searching for videos and help and no one around here knows what they are doing to help me so it’s a big pain in the backside.

10. calling4life

One thing I wanted to note as I reread some of this, it almost comes off as if I'm selling compression plates, you don't have to have one, it isn't 100% needed.

Here's a great example, guy's running with what... 60+% of the prop above the surface. I also can't help but think of the possibilities if they'd make that tunnel deeper too. But these boats are already noted as being able to run with the outboards high enough the skeg is above the bottom of the boat, so more height isn't really needed.