Havoc boat for speed runs..

Discussion in 'Boats, Blinds, & Gadgets Forum' started by FLATBTM, Jun 14, 2018.

1. FLATBTM

FLATBTM Refuge Member

How many of you got a Havoc running a number? I got a little 1448 Rhino flatty right now and I have beaten it about completely to death. It's a .125" hull, but I got caught in a bad storm and things just went down hill. Drag racing with the Merc on it just exacerbated things.

Here's the part where ya'll probably tell me to kick rocks, I ain't hunting out of the boat. Just going to run the TN river and some back waters with my girl and dogs. On Wednesdays all the jon boats and skis get out there and act a fool and run for fun. Going to see if I can order the hull with a raw aluminum finish instead of the camo.

I'm most curious on the RDB model. Lighter weight should help me. I won't be bouncing off stumps or trees unless something real bad has happened but the water on Lake Guntersville can be wild sometimes when we on that side of town. That 8* hull cut through the waves alright? About how much does the 1550 RDB weigh? My current hull is a fatty at 360 pounds. Hoping the RDB is sub 400 in the size mentioned.

Last question is on the pad. I have read just about every google hit I've found while searching, but can't seem to find much recent info on how the pad hull is working. Gonna be running a modded Merc 50.

Thanks for the help fellas.

Attached Files:

2. calling4life

calling4life Elite Refuge Member

Go with a tunnel hull and a jackplate, more motor out of the water = less drag. For speed, a through hull tunnel may be best, but you could also vent a normal tunnel.
    None of these will be good in waves, to make them noticeably better, spray closed cell foam on the bottom, couple inches worth, still not good though.

You could also go fiberglass, something like a technical poling skiff with a tunnel, like an Ankona Shadowcast, they tend to be longer and narrow (16 & 18 with 55-58" beam), so with that 50 they'd scream along, especially given you'll be able to jack that motor up. They are decently priced too and would be more comfortable in waves.

Anyways, just kicking some ideas around I guess, good luck with it.

3. lax

lax Elite Refuge Member

One of the fastest guys on this forum has ran the edge, havoc and ambush hulls. He would be a good source, but he doesn't frequent the forum much these days.

4. FLATBTM

FLATBTM Refuge Member

Not bad ideas by any means, thanks. I'm not to big on tunnel hull just for the fact that with my jack I can already get the prop shaft up to the bottom of the hull. They can work great, but I'm not sure it would be optimum for what I'm doing. We run shallow, but I don't think it's anything compared to the swamps ya'll hunt so not too worried on that. I've looked into some of the fiberglass hulls but outside of the Fastcrafts and Bug busters most are heavy as hell.

Yea, seems a couple guys I had hoped to speak to aren't around here much anymore. I've about dug up the whole internet on these Merc 59ci's and going fast in an aluminum boat.

I have thought about just going and getting a WeldBilt for cheap, but the reviews are all over the place. I'm pretty rough on a boat. Probably nothing compared to some of you guys banging off trees and all, but I like to stay on top of the waves when it gets rough. I don't think a WeldBilt would take it. The big names all have good reviews and seem to be made to do what I'm after. Decently smooth ride, some deadrise in the hull, possibly a pad, and I can get the interior laid out just how I want. Which will be pretty minimal. Two seats and some storage.

5. JP

JP Elite Refuge Member

Wouldn't a longer hull help with the 2-3' rollers?

Back in the 60's most commercial fishermen on Pickwick were running 1860's with 50+HP Black Stacks. The hulls were generally 3/4" marine plywood. That was also back when you could get it w/o knots or checks.

You'd see them flying out from the Second Creek ramp at Waterloo up on plane just popping across the tops of the rollers.

FWIW

6. FLATBTM

FLATBTM Refuge Member

Yes, a longer boat would definitely be smoother in rough water. My main priority though is fun and going fast. Think 15' will be pretty well rounded for me. The v bow and some deadrise should be a whole heck of a lot better in the waves than my flat bottom. I sure hope so. There will be fishing off the boat once in a blue moon, but it is just a dedicated toy. We go out every weekend and hit the beaches and when my girl ain't with me I'm hauling azz.

Have my interior plans pretty well set. Just need to get some more info on the pad hull. Might give the mfg. a call today. It would be nice to have the opinion of a consumer who has used a product vs the guy trying to sell it to me for sure though.

7. Wtm89

Wtm89 New Member

I’ve got a havoc 1550 with a 20hp Tohatsu and today by myself and just a little fishing gear hit 28mph. I love my havoc, decently quick and turns on a dime. Boat cane from dealership with a Merc 40. Id imagine it would scream down the river with that much hp

8. tomme boy

tomme boy Senior Refuge Member

Arkansas Tiller Handle Outlaws & Performance Boats

Look this up on Facebook and ask these guys there. Just don't be afraid to get butt hurt. There are some very FAST boat guys on there and some will help and some will not. Most ?'s have been asked thousands of times so you might not get an answer. Post a pic of some boobs and it will help get an answer

9. callinfowl

callinfowl Kalifornia Forum

If he's lucky Johnny "Pipeline" might get back to him.:tu