Taxidermy Forum Sponsors

Head attachment on birds

Discussion in 'Taxidermy Forum' started by aythyafanatic04, Feb 22, 2017.

1. aythyafanatic04

aythyafanatic04 New Member

Hey guys. Once again, new to mounting birds and trying to learn some better ways to do things. I have been struggling to find a structurally sound way to attach the neck wire on a duck to either an artificial head or clay head with the real bill. I typically just drill a hole in the head, put some hot glue and insert the wire up to the top of the head, or in the case of using the real bill I just insert the wire into the clay. I get some twisting of the head before its dry but I have not had any serious problems, so far. I am wondering if anyone knows of a way to really lock the neck wire in to the head so you don't have to be quite so delicate when pulling the head skin over or worry about the head falling off at some point. Thanks

2. Brad's Birds

Brad's Birds Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

Try drilling out a larger hole in the back of the artificial head, about the diameter of the artificial neck. Leave an extra 2" of wire protruding from the end of artificial neck, then bend that end into a tight U shape. Fill (almost fill) the hole in the cast head with hot glue, insert the U shape wire up to the artificial neck and hold in place until glue cures. You can carry the mount by the bill with this method. I do the same with real heads on upland birds, simply filling the brain cavity with hot glue, inserting the U shaped wire. It's not as strong as using a cast head, but better than simply sticking a straight wire through the skull. Low temp hot glue has worked better for me, cures faster and isn't so hot to damage head feathers, etc....

3. Brad's Birds

Brad's Birds Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

4. killerv

killerv Senior Refuge Member

He said Thanks in the OP

5. aythyafanatic04

aythyafanatic04 New Member

Thanks so much Brad's Birds for taking the time to give out advice. Really appreciate the tips.

6. Trophyduck

Trophyduck Elite Refuge Member