Heading over next week to Islamorada-bait?

Discussion in 'Florida Flyway Forum' started by CUTTERS DADDY, Nov 6, 2013.

1. CUTTERS DADDY

CUTTERS DADDY Elite Refuge Member

Heading on over to Islamorada next week and want to try some fishing from a pontoon boat. Don't really know what to go after or how and would appreciate any tips on what type of swim baits, rigs or lures to bring along. Supposed to be some reels and rods to use on the boat.
    Also, anyone know a good place to get some lobster tails or local fare to cook ourselves? We're renting a house and trying to keep it low budget but eat like kings:z
    If anyone wants to recommend a 1/2 day guide please shoot me a pm. I'm thinking Saturday the 16th or Sunday the 17th I might be able to sneak away. If not, I'll have two of my cousins with me too. Heck, maybe all six of us:sp

2. alabama cheesehead

alabama cheesehead Elite Refuge Member

while south fla isn't my stomping ground its hard to go wrong with shrimp (the fresher the better.) you will catch something. 1/0 circle hook 20lb flouro leader and just enough lead to get it down. as far as artificials lead head jigs jerk baits and the mvp D.O.A shrimp

3. Squaller

Squaller Elite Refuge Member

What are you targeting?

I went to grad school in FL and did quite a bit of fishing when I was there. This ain't the best time of year to plan a fishing trip there, and my expectations would be low (if memory serves correct)....

We tended to catch more fish on shrimp, but we caught bigger fish on pilchers and herring. We generally went with pilchers if available; I used a portable aerator in a bucket, and it worked perfectly to keep them alive all day.