Heading to Alaska in a few weeks

Discussion in 'Alaska Flyway Forum' started by chris0369, Aug 14, 2011.

1. chris0369

chris0369 Senior Refuge Member

Hey guys I am heading up to Alaska in a few weeks for a combo moose and duck hunt. First few days moose only rest of the trip ducks and moose in the afternoon if we haven't filled our tags yet. I am hunting with my uncle who retired there, and we are all set for areas. My uncle is relatively new to duck hunting and I am looking forward to furthering his addiction to ducks. My primary question here is what can I expect in the Prince William Sound area for ducks as far as plumeage is concerned. I assume that this early in the season few birds have all their color, but was hoping someone would tell me I was dead wrong and I may have a trophy bird or two to take home. Any chance of plumed out birds or I am just SOL? Thanks for any help.

2. Ring King

Ring King Elite Refuge Member

You're SOL for the early season birds. They'll just be a bunch of brown ducks until late October at best. The puddle ducks still eat good though and you can't beat Alaskan limits for helping to fill the freezer!!

3. Erich_870

Erich_870 Senior Refuge Member

Yeah, Ring King is right on. Not much but brown ducks this time of year. :(

Come back in December! :grvn

Erich

4. chris0369

chris0369 Senior Refuge Member

Thanks guys I assumed as much, but I was holding on to a glimmer of hope. I would love to come back later in the year, but this time around the moose hunt is driving the timing more than the ducks. Next time ducks will have to come first.