Heading to Sk for some specs and snows

Discussion in 'Goose Hunting Forum' started by bswanson, Jul 16, 2004.

1. bswanson

bswanson Senior Refuge Member

By hunting buddy and I are heading to western sk insearch of geese and ducks. I have heard that the specs are an earlier migrating bird, is this true? I have only got a handfill of these birds, but I would like to get a few more. Also are there any big canada geese flyways on the alberta sk border? I am primed up and got the decoys allready packed and I don't leave for 3 months. Thanks

2. STUBBLE BUM

STUBBLE BUM Senior Refuge Member

Specs usually begin showing up the third week in September and usually peak by Canadian Thanksgiving. The number one factor is weather - an early storm up North will trigger a mass migration to the staging grounds of South Central SK and E Cast Central AB but a warm Fall can stagger the migration and STALL it. A dry year will concentrate the birds on the bigger waters when they arrive on the staging grounds. Have fun - STUB

3. JEDJR

JEDJR Elite Refuge Member

They are early migrators. We actually start getting a few of them down in southwest Louisiana during our teal season in mid -late September, and they continue to build from there. We are normally stacked with em by the start of our season , the first saturday in November with our peak hunting in mid-late December.

Has anyone heard anymore news on the hatch/population of the specks?? I had heard from a biologist here that they had a poor hatch and we(Louisiana) could be losing some days or a reduction in bag limit from 2 to 1?.

4. ramsey

ramsey Elite Refuge Member

Pretty good area in general, we usually take specks, snows, ross', and 6 to 7 races of Canada geese. Good luck and best regards

5. Fanatic

Fanatic Elite Refuge Member

i second the above...