Heading to the Sarasota area

Discussion in 'Florida Flyway Forum' started by jumpmaster23, Dec 29, 2014.

1. jumpmaster23

jumpmaster23 Senior Refuge Member

I'll be down in Sarasota January 10-17, looking to get at least one day out before I deploy the end of the month. Any recommendations on a local guide? I went out with CPT Jeff last time, and had a great time, just not looking to drive across the state. Thanks for any help

2. Blacklab227

Blacklab227 Elite Refuge Member

Okeechobee is your best bet. Sorry, I don't know of a guide in the area, but I'm sure someone will chime in.

3. Capt Jeff Kraynik

Capt Jeff Kraynik Elite Refuge Member

Try Capt Chuck with Rebel Yelp Outfitters, if he can't help u he may know someone else on that coast.

4. jumpmaster23

thanks for the replies

5. duckmanJR

duckmanJR Senior Refuge Member

I would definitely go with Derick Bendel...owner of Hellbender boats.
    He's down in N. Ft Myers but is a REAL DEAL duck hunter.....and his boats are awesome!

6. Capt Jeff Kraynik

Jump,

U can also try Rons Guide Service on Lake O.

The biz has been taken over by the nephew who no longer does the "drop & bob" from the tubes.

He is a licensed captain hunting out of (2) two mud boats now.

I have heard from a few that it's a entirely new operation now & the kid is just trying to get over all the past bad press.

7. huntmstr

huntmstr New Member

A REAL duck hunter? As opposed to what?

There is no doubt that Derek has studied birds and knows their characteristics, what they eat, their preferred habitat and their tendencies. He is a good decoy carver and he makes a nice paddle boat (I love mine). But none of that makes him a legitimate guide. Derek is not a licensed captain nor is he insured. Your options with Derek are going to be a paddle in trip at the STAs or a long walk and paddle in trip at the STAs. He doesn't guide anywhere else because it would be illegal for him to do so.

I am booked solid from 1/10-1/17. However, I can suggest Tiger Hoffman, Andy Norris & Tanner Norris with Osceola Connection Outdoors. See the attached link below for their contact information. They hunt Southern Tampa Bay and Bishops Harbor area just north of Manatee County. They are licensed, insured and reasonably priced.

http://www.osceolaconnection.com/about_us.html

8. duckmanJR

duckmanJR Senior Refuge Member

That's easy...as OPPOSED to the hacks and half azz's who shill for each other on the web....

That young guy knows and DOES more than at least two "guides" I can think of right off the top of my head.

Some "talk" a big game...some are tremendous self promoters...

But then, some guys are just good at taking people out and getting on the birds..It's just that simple.

9. Capt Jeff Kraynik

Sorry Jump!!!:doh

Enjoy your trip in the Sunshine State:tu

10. jumpmaster23

Thanks again everyone. I'll post up some pics if everything turns out. See you all this weekend, cross country drive with a 2 year old should be fun... Thank god for dvd players

Capt Jeff, it's the fuge. If you really want to see funny, you should check out the KS forum....