Heads came off in Kansas

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunters Forum' started by DEC, Apr 11, 2016.

1. MJ

MJ Administrator Moderator Flyway Manager

Well done DEC. Dave did a nice job on that decoy. I've been waiting to see pics of your hunts this season. My CA hunt is a week from today. Looking forward to seeing your video.

DEC likes this.
  2. MJ

He mentioned it. It's called a Magnus Bullhead. For those of us that like to kill turkeys with a bow, it doesn't get much better than a Magnus Bullhead, DSD decoys and a ground blind. Sure, you can kill birds without any of that gear, and we have. We'll hunt the way we choose, and you're free to do the same.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

stevena198301 and DEC like this.
  3. bill cooksey

bill cooksey Elite Refuge Member

In regards to turkey hunting, I'm not a fan of blinds, bows or gobbler decoys. That said, I do appreciate the fact you took the time to learn to kill them cleanly with stick and string.

4. DEC

DEC Elite Refuge Member

That is why I bow hunt head/neck shots only with a head like the Bullhead. It is a clean miss or a clean quick kill 99.999% of the time. Body shots just offer too much that can go wrong. Years ago when I body shot birds I'd lose 2 for every 1 I would kill. It didn't take me too long to realize that that did not match up with my objectives of a quick clean kill as a hunter, so I when the head chopper broadheads came to market they peaked my interest. I've seen friends body shoot birds that had to be ran down. I've seen a gut shot bird rot from the inside out while the bird was still alive before he was found and a second arrow put in him. I've seen 2/3 of a bird's meat thrown away due to damage and rot. It just isn't worth it when you look at what our goal as hunters should be when it comes to a fast kill and being able to utilize the meat. The result for me was to move to head/neck shots only. I've now killed or been a part of the hunt that killed birds on head/neck shots now on over 30 birds the past few years. All but one dropped in it's tracks in under 5 yards from being shot. My daughter nicked one's neck a few years back and it went about 60 yards before it fell face down as it bled out quick. In my opinion the art of a head/neck shot with a bow is just the right thing to do.

stevena198301 likes this.
  5. stevena198301

stevena198301 Elite Refuge Member

I concur, but I don't think I'm that good. Bought some Bullheads several years ago, and have yet to take one hunting. I have shot them at the block, with good success, but never at a bird. Bow is in the bed of the truck, going to KS though. IF I get the chance, I will try it out, with a 12 GA backup (5 of us are going to a 16000 acre ranch). If I don't have a chance, oh well... I'll use the 12. Congrats again on your KS trip.

6. MJ

Try it out and keep the gun close by. If you miss the bird with the arrow chances are you'll be able to pick up the gun and seal the deal. They usually don't go far after a missed bow shot. And put your decoys close (5-7 yards). If I put a jake decoy at 5 yards, that's where my shot will be.

7. stevena198301

stevena198301 Elite Refuge Member

Copy... I usually put them past 15, even 20, but that is with the shotgun. Plan is to try it, and video it. Also taking my camcorder and tripod. I wish I had video'd the two from last year in KS, but I never sat in a blind. Just up against a tree the first afternoon, and in a brush pile the second morning. I'd like one hunt to be video'd for the daughter. She'd get a kick out of it.

8. DEC

DEC Elite Refuge Member

I am not going to lie, you have to practice the shot. But if you tune your bow and practice, the actual shot isn't all that difficult to make. One of the biggest reasons is that the aiming point is so defined. That red head/neck makes it very easy to know the exact point of aim. It honestly is like shooting a Coke can in your yard. And if you let him settle in you can catch him at a point where the Coke can would move more than he actually moves his head. The shot is honestly the easiest part. I know that traditionalist turkey hunters will argue this but I will contend that drawing him in to 5 yards and settling him in the decoys is the most difficult part. You cannot just throw a blind up and stake down some decoys and magically the birds walk in your lap. There is scouting aspect and a knowledge of exactly how to make the set up look real and nonthreatening. There is still the calling aspect as well. Just like sitting against a tree you have to work that tom because seldom do the decoys alone do it. There are a lot of birds that will hang up at 20 yards if the set up and calling are just not right. That first bird I killed took forever to come from 50 to 5 yards. He was very cautious. I held at full draw for over 2 minutes on him while he was in front of me as I waited for him to take those last couple steps that I needed. Like I said, the shot part is the easiest part ... arguably it is with a shot gun as well. The challenge is calling/decoying that bird to the exact point that it all comes together and you can let the arrow or column of shot fly, no matter really how it is you choose to hunt them.

I just love hunting them. I get that people have differing opinions on what is "hunting" when it comes to turkeys as well. I have tons of respect for the run and gun with only a mouth call and shot gun guys. I've done it and if you have the property to roam it is a blast. But back home in Indiana (home for me) most of my properties are 20 acres and 3/4 of that is tillable open field, then there is no "run and gun". It is sit your butt, call, decoy, and wait. That is the reality that many of us deal with given what we have to hunt. Like I said, my hips, back, butt, and legs just cannot take the sitting against a base of a tree anymore for much more than a couple of minutes. So I might as well focus on my setup and sit in a blind. A long sit in a blind chair about kills my hips and legs anymore too.

No matter how you do it, just hunt them. Just because someone hunts them a different way that you do, don't get caught up in it. This hunter vs hunter crap is getting old real fast.

MJ likes this.
  9. bill cooksey

bill cooksey Elite Refuge Member

Not sure who that was directed at. I just said I wasn't a fan. Didn't mean any more than that. The only thing I have against bows for turkey is knowing the average turkey hunter lacks the temperament and skill to make consistent kills. You obviously are not in that category.

Personally, blinds and gobbler decoys leave me feeling vacant after a kill, but that's a personal choice. My view could change at some point, but right now I'd rather not hunt turkeys. Now, we are starting to hear more folks in my region question if gobbler decoys are so effective they're causing additive mortality, and, anecdotally, I think they probably are. So does more than one wildlife professional in the area. But, that's a regional situation, and that's the only way it should be viewed.

If it's legal, doesn't affect others and you enjoy the hunt, do it. The hunter vs. hunter crap is as old as hunting itself. Some people tend to be too vocal and choose their words poorly. Others tend to get offended when none was meant.

MJ and DEC like this.
  10. DEC

DEC Elite Refuge Member

I didn't mean to come off like a jerk to you Bill. Just comments like the one on the first page torque me off. I get those kinds of comments a couple times a week anymore in various social media outlets. It gets old and so I get a little too defensive at times.

All is cool. And I do agree with your first statement, I often see too many bow hunters take the "just get an arrow in him" approach when it comes to turkeys. That to me is unsettling to be honest. With that being said, that is another reason that I push for the head/neck shot. If you are going to just fling an arrow I'd rather it be a clean miss or a clean kill, which is pretty much what that shot gives you.

MJ and bill cooksey like this.