Heads came off in Kansas

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunters Forum' started by DEC, Apr 11, 2016.

1. bill cooksey

bill cooksey Elite Refuge Member

All good here. I've made the mistake of questioning why folks bowhunt from a blind, and I tried to do it as an open and honest question without any intent of slandering the technique or the people, but it never ended well. It's a conversation I've learned is best conducted face-to-face and no one gets offended.

Obviously that whole thing would begin with understanding an individual's physical limitations could necessitate it.

MJ likes this.
  2. stevena198301

stevena198301 Elite Refuge Member

I've yet to find a way to turkey hunt I didn't like... :tu

Knowing which tactic to use in each scenario is my problem (I've only turkey hunted 5 years and only killed 12, I still consider myself a full-blown rookie). The guy who taught me to hunt has killed over 300, probably closer to 400. Good friend to have when I have a shoulda/woulda/coulda situation. He can usually give me a tip on how to get closer the next day.

DEC likes this.
  3. ALLSTAR 1

ALLSTAR 1 Elite Refuge Member

You just about have to hunt from a blind in Kansas and hope the turkeys come to you as you cannot get on most land (leased) already being hunted, etc. and it is just getting worse. IF you have access, as this story obviously shows, you can do well. I am lucky to own a place but all the other spots we used to hunt are covered up with relatives or leased. Most people bait them in now. Corn piles are common and Orscelns has stacks and stacks of corn bags. Not like it was. But nothing stays the same. All about $$..
    Kansas really has less turkeys than many states like MO, KY, TN, AL, etc they just have no place to hide or mountains to get behind. Overall numbers are way down in our area.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2016
    stevena198301 likes this.
  4. jcneng

jcneng Senior Refuge Member

DEC: Your posts and experiences are the same as mine. Got tired of losing birds and find it much easier to "aim small miss small" when aiming at the head vs the body. So far 5 for 5 with the bullhead.

DEC likes this.
  5. DEC

DEC Elite Refuge Member

I finally got around to doing a video edit of this Kansas hunt. Enjoy. A variation of this hunt (different production editor) will air on the Sportsman Channel's Dreampoint Outdoors Game of Inches on May 18th.

6. SB2MAG

SB2MAG Elite Refuge Member

Nice video.

DEC likes this.