Hearing protection...

Discussion in 'Shooting - Reloading Forum' started by olepal, Dec 26, 2017.

1. olepal

olepal Elite Refuge Member

So for the competition skeet, trap, sporting clays shooters, what seems to be the really good hearing protection these days. I mean specific brands, etc.

olepal

2. DuckyPhe

DuckyPhe Senior Refuge Member

[​IMG] 3M EAR soft yellow neon blast rated at 33db of noise reduction are still the best. I've tried several of the molded form fitted ones and none reduce to the level of these. I also don't like the way they move around in my ears as I mount the gun and such. These stay put the whole round. Used to get them free from work but changed jobs so now I have to buy my own and still use these.

Chris

3. BD7000

BD7000 Senior Refuge Member

Go to any hearing doctor and they will hook you up with the ear plugs that are molded to your ear. They are comfortable and last for ever. I have had mine for over 5 years. Not that expensive and probably be able to use your insurance for them.

4. jzoo

jzoo Senior Refuge Member

I use WildEar. Expensive, but much cheaper than prescription hearing aids later in life.

5. luckydevil

luckydevil New Member

Bought sound gear instant fit ear plugs this year. Take a #10 battery and fit comfortable in ear like foam plugs. used in pit w/ 3-4 other hunters with no problems.Batteries are small and kind of a pain, but wore them all day no issues. Not cheap but worked for me. [may be coupon deal with Pheasants Forever code]

6. Docterduck

Docterduck Elite Refuge Member

It’s all comes down to noise reduction. I have had and used the expensive digital ones, molded without electronics and foam. I will say it again it all comes down to noise reduction! The 3m foam or the Howard Leight foam are rated at the top. Look up the specs which come with each and decide for yourself.

Now if you really want protection go the plug and muff route like MSM Sordins. This set up is the best hands down.

7. Gander

Gander Elite Refuge Member

I use custom molded ear plugs. They cost me $40 and I just get a new set each year. The foam plugs never stay in my ear. I used to have electronic ear plugs but i got tired of replacing batteries. I have a set of ear plugs that can be plugged into my phone to listen to music but then I can't hear the trapper, so I gave up on those.

8. Tuleman

Tuleman Elite Refuge Member

When I'm shooting clay targets, this ^ is what is in my ears.
    The brand? E.A.R. I called them, they set up an appointment, the tech came to my house and took the molds one evening.
    They don't block quite as much sound as the foam plugs, but they are far more comfortable for me to wear, and I can hear conversation with them.

olepal likes this.
  9. Docterduck

Docterduck Elite Refuge Member

You can go to Costco and they make the molds for free or did? And just send them off.

olepal likes this.
  10. olepal

olepal Elite Refuge Member

What department? Customer service?