Boats & Blinds Forum Sponsors

Hearing protection

Discussion in 'Boats, Blinds, & Gadgets Forum' started by BillW, Oct 19, 2018.

1. BillW

BillW Senior Refuge Member

Curious what people are using for hearing protection when in the blind ?
    I don't want to wear foam plugs or muffs. The muffs would be uncomfortable with sunglasses and if I had to wear them over a beanie and I don't want to hassle with taking them on/off when birds are coming.
    I have been using the SureFire in-ear units from Cabelas but I cannot hear the birds working(wings/quacks) nor can I hear other hunters very well.

So, I am looking for suggestions on an in-ear amplified unit that isn't too expensive.

Walkers Silencers look good but I have read many mixed reviews.

Thoughts ?

2. darkvibe

darkvibe Senior Refuge Member

I wear custom molded electronic in-ear. Yes, they are expensive but they are really great.

One thing I learned when I started getting custom molded plugs (I have had a few) is that the shape of your ear canal is going to affect how well non-custom plugs work for you. All of the non-custom plugs I have seen have round ends. In my case, my ear canals are very oblong so the round plugs don't seal well and don't really work.

IMO, go get molds made at an audiologist and suck up the cost of custom in-ear.

I wear these but they have some more basic water resistant plugs.
    https://earinc.com/product/heardefenders-waterproof-dmm/

If you don't have hearing loss you don't need them to be programmable so you can get something like their $1400 basic waterproof. Call the people up and talk to th

3. BillW

Thanks, those look like they would work great. Unfortunately they are a tad out of my budget right now. The Surefire units I am using now block the noise very well and fit my ear canal nicely. The issue with them is that I can't hear wings or distant ducks quacking until they are right on top of us.

Like I said, I really like the looks and design of the Walker Silencer system but have read so many negative(and positive) reviews that I am hesitant. I guess I could try them and if they don't work well I can just return them.

4. darkvibe

darkvibe Senior Refuge Member

If you watch camofire.com every day they have had some walker electronics on there. I think they were there yesterday. they'll probably show up again in the next week or so.

5. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator Flyway Manager

Can't help with any advice, I wear the surefire ep7's. So comfy I have driven home, forgetting they are there. But, a story...

Took a Trap Club buddy to the opener couple of weeks ago. While waiting for LST, I asked if he remembered hearing protection. He said no, and I offered a spare pair I carry. He declined. I told him he was risking his hearing, but, they were his ears.

Fast forward to this week, and I met him at the club. We were comparing notes on our trips to SK. He went with 4 other guys. As he got out of his truck, he was putting ear plugs in, which is odd, since we were 50 yards from the shooting. First thing he told me was he damaged his ears on the trip. Dr says it will come back, no damage to his actual eardrum, but he was pretty deaf in one ear. He just looked at me, dropped his head, and said I was right about wearing protection while hunting. He had never done it before, but said he will never forget again.

6. Tailfeathers

Tailfeathers Elite Refuge Member

My brother bought me two pairs of electronic ear muff about, wow....13 years ago when I started taking my now 25 year old son shooting/hunting. They were a Walmart deal, like $10 to $15 at the time. They still work great. Only thing is the on/off switch gets bumped in the blind bag, so I tape it off until use. Shop around, all they have to do is work. Also foam plugs can be bought by the case. You only have to cut down on the decibels, not eliminate them.

7. Dee Tee

Dee Tee Elite Refuge Member

I know you said no muffs, but have to praise the Howard Leights. Only $50 on Amazon and I can hear the birds coming (and going) better with them then without and they save my ears great. I gave them a fair chance over several hunts to get used to them a few years ago. I never shoot without them anymore. For $50 give them a try. Give them to a friend if you don't like them.

longduck likes this.
  8. CA Hunter

CA Hunter Senior Refuge Member

I Use EP3 which is a filtered option. I can still hear conversation, birds, but it cuts the blus to safety level.
    It is cheap, you can try one for $18. But use Filtered option one like EP3, EP4 or EP7. They are filtered options
    https://www.surefire.com/tactical-equipment/earpro-products.html

Before i was never using anything if hunted alone or was using one regular plug if was hunting with another guy. I was putting the plug in the right ear. The other guy was always on the right. So, i could hear the birds with my left ear, and from the right i was somehow protected from the blust. Not ideal, but better than nothing.

9. BillW

I decided to purchase the new version of the Walkers Silencers, which are rechargeable(lithium battery) and Bluetooth so settings can be controlled from your phone. If they stink I can always rerturn them
    Thanks, but as I mentioned in my post above I can't wear the muffs as they can get in the way of the gun mount and won't work properly if worn over a fleece beanie. I am in the Northeast and it gets real cold. As far as the foam plugs, yes they work great for blocking the noise but I need to be able to hear whistling wings and ducks quacking, as well as my hunting partners talking real low to me. That's why foam plugs won't work for me. They are great a the range.

MJ1657 likes this.
  10. longduck

longduck Senior Refuge Member

+1 for Howard Leight's