Boats & Blinds Forum Sponsors

Hearing protection

Discussion in 'Boats, Blinds, & Gadgets Forum' started by BillW, Oct 19, 2018.

1. longduck

longduck Senior Refuge Member

+1 for Howard Leight's

2. H20DAD

H20DAD Elite Refuge Member

Thanks Bill. This thread just cost me a pile of pesos. That being said I had Howard Leights in the past and liked it but drowned it in a freak rainstorm when I left it in my bender boat.

Bought three more pair tonight and proper cases. I need to start wearing hearing and eye protection as a Dad. Have to be a good example.

3. MJ1657

MJ1657 Senior Refuge Member

Please keep us updated on how you like them. I'm interested in them for myself.

4. MJ1657

5. MJ1657

6. Old Carver

Old Carver Refuge Member

When I was in the military I got turned on to Peltor Tactical Pro earmuffs. They have the micrphone on the front of the muff. Incredible. With the volume control you can turn up the sound. Problem is then you hear the bugs 10 feet away. I use them when I'm on my tractors or running chainsaws. You can stand next to a turbo charged tractor and carry on a conversation. They never got in the way of shooting ever. Three tours in Afghanistan and another in Iraq and they never gave trouble. Worth every penny. You get so used to those muffs it's great and a side benefit is my ears don't get cold.

Fowler267 likes this.
  7. QuaaackerJack

QuaaackerJack Senior Refuge Member

How are they with water / moisture?

8. Redonthehead

Redonthehead Elite Refuge Member

9. Old Carver

Old Carver Refuge Member

Never had problems with them even in pouring rain but they do get loud in rain. Have to turn down the volume a bit. Everything from dust to rain. Expensive but worth it. One of my pairs is 12 yrs old and still work fine.

10. Andrew Caldieraro

Andrew Caldieraro Refuge Member

I can't imagine wearing earmuffs when in a layout blind all day. It's cold, and I think they would be uncomfortable. I don't wear ear protection when hunting. I do with sporting clays, skeet, or simply patterning a gun. I probably should look into something for in-field use, too.

11. Old Carver

Old Carver Refuge Member

No worse than laying in a ditch watching bad guys thru a high power scope all day. Nice thing with the higher end muffs is you can turn the volume way up and hear so many things around you. My son and I had ours on when he heard the black bear that walked up and looked into our blind. Hearing his movement was cool. He doesn't move anymore since he's on my office wall. Yes a 16 guage slug does a number point blank. Sure is nice to hear whats around you.