Heart worm treatment

Discussion in 'Gun Dog Forum' started by bigdrumnc, Feb 28, 2018.

1. bigdrumnc

bigdrumnc Elite Refuge Member

Well my female lab tested positive for heart worms last fall. The vet suggested I wait till after the season to begin treatment (this was her first hunting season). Today she recieved her first shot for the fast kill method. She is week and sore from sedation. Any one with experience that can tell me real life experience what to expect for the next few months? I know she will have to be relaxed in her kennel through the duration. Luckily we cuaght it at a young age and the pharm company is covering the treatment. She was on Heartworm preventatives since day one. The vet informed us missippi, Louisiana and coastal nc have mosquitos who acarry heart worms immune to modern meds. Wish us luck!

2. bill cooksey

bill cooksey Elite Refuge Member

And TN, AR, KY and others. Good luck. Worst part is I know of more than one dog who was never able to be cleared of heartworms.

3. WML

WML New Member

Had a female test positive 2 years ago after season was over, heart worm preventative company covered all expenses as well. We hunt in Missouri right on the river, and I know there are studies begin conducted that they are trying to find out if there is a strand of heart worm that is immune to ivermectin based preventative in the Mississippi river valley. since then we have switched to Advantage Multi, and so far so good.
    Yes you can expect your dog to be lethargic even after sedation from the shot, it is from my understanding very rough on the dog. My dog had a series of shots, and if I remember correctly they gave 1, and then several weeks later they gave 2 more. My dog had no ill side effects other than being real sore, and being crated for that extended period she was very frustrated, and started acting out (chewed up crate pad, and started gnawing on her crate) I am sure they told you to keep activity at a minimum during the treatment, and my vet told me that as long as she didn't decide to chase something, or take off running and getting excited she would be fine.
    I do think the treatment is hard on the dogs, and it did seem to me it took several weeks after the treatment was over for my girl to get back to herself, it was like it took something out of her. Also don't be alarmed if a knot shows up at the injection site, my dog had one that came up after the second series, and it took almost 2 months before it went away. The good news is, after the waiting period she tested negative and was started back on Advantage multi and was fine after getting her back into shape from the lay off. Bad thing is I lost this dog this past fall to a intestinal torsion that ruptured, and I could not get her to the vet in time, it was a terrible lose as she was a fine dog.
    Good luck with your dog, and I am sure everything will turn out fine, just follow your vets advice, and the treatment plan to the letter.

4. JBdogboy

JBdogboy Refuge Member

My old man 10 now had them at three. He had the shots one then a week later the rest and this guy was a fire breather one speed super sonic. The vet said to keep him as calm as possible we played lite fetching for the rest time. He is still going strong. The only thing I had noticed was he got a grey about five and has had the grey beard since. The big thing is to try and keep them as calm as possible so they don't have to paint and breath heavy the shots kill the worms then as they dissolve you don't want big chunk breaking off and traveling to the lungs. She should turn out ok best of luck.

5. bigdrumnc

Thanks guys! I am thawing out a pack of red heads to grill her for lunch to cheer her up

6. bigdrumnc

Update:
    This Wednesday is the last day my girl has to be crated! it has been a long 12 weeks (one shot-rest 6 weeks, then two shots -rest 6 weeks). I am glad to say my girl had no ill side effects. Other than being groggy from the sedation for the shots, you would never know if anything ever occurred. There was no tenderness i could tell, she was her self, and didn't walk funny or anything. I guess we are very lucky! The hardest part was keeping her calm, having her crated the whole time and walking her by hand. Lol, she is over it! When we see a squirrel she is like a white marlin on a leader! We have a lot of catching up to do training wise, and i plan to get back to it gradually. She will be tested again in June and hope for a big negative!

7. JBdogboy

JBdogboy Refuge Member

Bigdrumnc glad to hear that good news. Like I wrote before my Bubba now 11 went through it at 3 and is still going strong even with older age and a bit of arthritis coming. Best to you and your girl give her a milkbone from Bubba.

8. jzee

jzee Elite Refuge Member

9. bullpinnie

bullpinnie Elite Refuge Member

there is supposed to be a new color for mosquitos, ticks , and fleas, might be with the additional prevention.