Heirloom decoy identification? Historical value?

Discussion in 'Decoy Forum' started by Andrew Karvel, Apr 13, 2018.

1. Andrew Karvel

Andrew Karvel New Member

IMG_1078 (2).JPG IMG_1081.JPG IMG_1078 (2).JPG IMG_1081.JPG IMG_1079 (4).JPG

2. Andrew Karvel

Andrew Karvel New Member

This decoy was handed down through the family to a friend of mine. His Great-Grandfather was William Beebe, a well noted explorer, biologist, ornithologist, hunter, etc. who lived from 1877-1962 and worked as a worldwide explorer for the New York Zoological Society among others. It was given as an anniversary gift to his parents in 1970, unaltered from its source, despite wear. Detailed information about William Beebe can be found at http://en.wikepedia.org/wiki/William_Beebe (William Beebe on Wikipedia.) or https://sites.com/site/cwilliambeebe/ (Google: "The Official William Beebe Site-Google Sites.) Any additional thoughts or information would be much appreciated. Thanks.

3. WHUP ! Hen

WHUP ! Hen Elite Refuge Member

It appears to be manufactured by one of the 3 or 4 factories in Mississippi. My guess, early to mid fifties.

4. Andrew Karvel

Andrew Karvel New Member

Thanks for the tip. I assume it is not of much value except personal. What do you think?

5. BAYDOG

BAYDOG Moderator- Diver, NY Forum, Refuge Classifieds Sponsor Moderator Flyway Manager

Phelps,New York (Heart of the Finger Lakes)
    30-50 bucks, tops.

6. teul2

teul2 Senior Refuge Member

Whup is right. It's a MS decoy. Hudson or most likely a PADCO (later Victor). It is not a Grubbs (neck is to thick). And given that it's a repainted mallard (mallards are most common) I'd value it in the $20-$40 range.

Tuleman likes this.
  7. how45hard

how45hard Senior Refuge Member

books.google.com/books?id=rYQv_HrEGpkC&printsec=frontcover&dq=pascagoula+decoys+joe+bosco&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiSwPG2z5zbAhVQbK0KHejJDC0Q6AEIJDAA#v=onepage&q=pascagoula%20decoys%20joe%20bosco&f=false