Hello to all from Texas

Discussion in 'Member Intros, Announcements, Refuge Gang Events' started by BudT, Nov 18, 2018.

1. BudT

BudT New Member

I was turned on to duck hunting and hunting refuges back when the Migratory Bird limit had just dropped to 3. Scouting trips found the skies black with ducks, I was ate up with it, young, and literally owned the marsh, because as many of you can remember, guys were hanging it up. The new steel shot, regulations, and other bs just shut it down for a while. Some called me crazy, but for me it was more of an addiction. I hunted a lot by myself. With HELP from some of the older guys I figured out how to make outboards run where Go-devils would not. If you look at what we were running back then and the surface drives of today, it kinda looks like a hybrid between the long tails, and jacked up, setback outboards. Remember the Ultrajack? It was a game changer. Fast forward about 15 years......the limits came up, refuges got crowded again, and worst of all, my favorite and only hunting companion for many of those days, my Black Lab that I trained, was getting up in age. I paid for some of the private leases until the outfitters ran the prices up to where it was ridiculous and drove us out. Considered getting and training another dog, but I had to be honest with myself, I knew this game was changing for me. Besides, I knew there would never be another "Major of the Marsh III". So these days, I still love to be in the marsh, usually fishing and hearing a Suzie giving calling lessons or watching a group of Pintail working into a flat from hundreds of feet up, but as some of you have said, I'm just not that mad at em anymore. I do enjoy checking in with you guys, living and learning vicariously through you. So with the changing of the seasons, the start of a new season, and the lines at the refuges the night before (or in some cases days before) I think of the good ole days, and wish you all a safe and successful year.

2. API

API PAF-CA Flyway Moderator Flyway Manager

Welcome aboard!!! Sounds to me like you have a lot to share. :tu

3. Luigi Daniele

Luigi Daniele Elite Refuge Member

NorCal: watching the specks and sprig work
    Welcome, Bud :)

4. BudT

BudT New Member

Thank you guys, looking forward to hanging out with ya'll.

Luigi Daniele and API like this.
  5. Luigi Daniele

Luigi Daniele Elite Refuge Member

NorCal: watching the specks and sprig work
    You'll love it here. :)