Canadian Hunters Forum Sponsors

Help a KIWI out!

Discussion in 'Canadian Hunters Forum' started by NZ_Honker, May 27, 2016.

1. NZ_Honker

NZ_Honker New Member

Hello all.

I am a water fowler from New Zealand, and I have spent the last 12 months travelling and hunting through Europe.

I sold my house at home, after my father passed away, when I found out just how short life can be. I've been ticking off my bucket list ever since.

I have just booked my flight into Alberta, to start my journey in Canada

I will be in Canada for 12 weeks, arriving on the 19th of September. I love my waterfowl hunting, and love my big game hunting. I am lucky to have some family friends who are taking me out for the first few weeks of the season, and then ill go where ever the birds take me!

I am hoping to find some like minded people who are happy to host me, as otherwise, my money wont get me very far! I plan to hunt Alberta, Saskatchewan and Perhaps Ontario, but it all comes down to who can help me out. I am happy behind a camera, and doing the mule work, its not just about the shooting, I'm just keen to experience the Canadian outdoors.

I hope to host the people I meet back in New Zealand, but I know it is a long way to travel.

25.jpg

You can read about my journey so far here

http://huntingforparadise.blogspot.co.uk/
    https://www.facebook.com/huntingforparadise/

If anyone can help out, id love to hear from you.

Hot barrels

Tom

3.jpg

Last edited: May 27, 2016
  2. Winchester 1897

Winchester 1897 Elite Refuge Member

I cant help you in Canada, but if you ever come south of the border and want to hunt in California or Nevada i could help.

3. NZ_Honker

NZ_Honker New Member

Thanks mate, Im planning on moving to the US or Canada in 2017. This trip is my 'scouting trip' just to check things out. But 2017 will see me in the USA for sure. I was going to come this year, but I could only get a 3 month tourist visa.

Winchester 1897 likes this.
  4. Winchester 1897

Winchester 1897 Elite Refuge Member

If you move to the US, I strongly recommend putting the lottery draw for Nevada big game tags. The have some amazing mule deer there, and some of the biggest elk in North America. Not to mention Bighorn and Pronghorn antelope too. It will take you a few years to get a tag, but it is worth the wait!

5. Hunter/Gather

Hunter/Gather Elite Refuge Member

Hey Kiwi,
    I plan on a bird hunting trip on the western prairies/parkland for the first time in a few years, right about the time you are arriving. Might be able to meet up for a few days. Not as dialed in as locals, but we have a great time on waterfowl, cranes, partridge and sharptails with our dogs,..... even snipe in some of the places we hunt.
    I was hosted on an exchange waterfowl trip to NZ two years ago at exactly this time of year. The people and the landscape made for a great trip. I must say, the South Island reminded me so much of where I live on the far NW part of California. I host a Kiwi exchange here in November when they send one over. Least I can do to reciprocate. So keep in touch.

Mitch

6. Mean Gene

Mean Gene Elite Refuge Member Flyway Manager

Hey Tom, don't waste your time with Winchester. I've hunted with that guy and he thinks spoonies are prime time. :dv I'm still up for getting you out when you start the U.S. gig. By 2017 I'll be well established in South Dakota as well and if you can get drawn for that we'll have a good time. Otherwise you and I can make a tour similar to what I did last fall. :tu

7. oneshot maybe

oneshot maybe Elite Refuge Member

This coming from a guy who shoots Buffleheads???????

8. bang you'r dead

bang you'r dead Canada Forum Mod. Eh! Moderator Flyway Manager

If you get as far as MB, I may be able to help you out, but it really depends on the birds at the time of the year you are here.

9. Chris Benson

Chris Benson Elite Refuge Member

I could also probably help you out if you make it into southern Manitoba. Lots of options here as well, cranes and geese in the fields, puddle ducks in the marsh and divers on bigger water.