Help a newbie to Fla.

Discussion in 'Florida Flyway Forum' started by buckmaster1, Feb 12, 2016.

1. buckmaster1

buckmaster1 Elite Refuge Member

Lakeland, Fl, Formerly from Gloucester, VA
    I'll be retiring this year so the Mrs. and I made the plunge and bought a place in Lakeland. Will be moving there from Virginia this coming fall, so there's plenty of time to plan. Don't want anyones "Secret Honey Holes" but would like some direction for hunting and fishing. I hunt just about anything that lives in the woods or flys. As far as fishing goes, perfer saltwater but freshwater is good too. Will be looking for some new hunting/fishing partners too as I'll bve leaving those behind in VA. Thanks in advance for you help.

2. Glades Ranger

Glades Ranger Elite Refuge Member

When you get settled, check out/ join United Waterfowlers of Florida, good place for info/intel. Take a look at the Florida Wildlife Commission website, lots of info. You are close to Osceola turkey environs if you like that, scout the WMA's. There are several good coastal hunting areas, there's the Big O, and the recent STA permit hunting areas are providing good hunting though I manage ok with public WMA's.

3. duckmanJR

duckmanJR Senior Refuge Member

Well, Lakeland is kinda mid state...so you'll travel for salt water...but lots of good largemouth fishing.

and ducks will be a little harder than other places...what gear you have( mud rig? ) ...will dictate what and where you will do best.

4. Waterfowl fool

Waterfowl fool Elite Refuge Member

Listen to Glades, best organization in Florida for us to meet and greet. There will plenty in your area that will be willing to help. Also your about smack dab in the center of some decent areas to both sides of you. With a little driving you should be golden.

If you ever want to come hit the lake for a weekend let me know.

Welcome to the Sunshine state! And remember the further south you go the less they speak the American Language for some ungodly reason.

Nash

5. buckmaster1

Ready or not here we come. Retired two weeks ago after 43 years in Law Enforcement. Got a contract on our house here in VA yesterday. Closing is Sept 27th. I took a load down to the new place last week, now just need one last trip with a small U-Haul with the wife and two four legged kids. As of now the plan is to make the final move on the 15th.

6. duckmanJR

7. duckmanJR

Congrats! ...Very good....You might be settled in by season start.

Here's my cell... Give me a call and we can chat...

Joe
    (772) 473-6210

8. buckmaster1

I'll give you a call once we get everything squared away and we're all settled in. Thanks for the come back.

9. Capt Jeff Kraynik

Capt Jeff Kraynik Elite Refuge Member

Just a heads up, the FFWCC & I are in the planning stages of hosting another free "Florida Waterfowlers Workshop" in the Palm Bay Area.

We haven't had a workshop in (3) three seasons.

Tentative date is Saturday, Novemeber 5th

More to follow

10. buckmaster1

Thanks for the heads up. Where is Palm Bay in relation to Lakeland?