HELP; duck hunting around fairbanks

Discussion in 'Alaska Flyway Forum' started by mac87toy, Jan 21, 2008.

1. mac87toy

mac87toy New Member

I need some help. I am moving to alaska after being in idaho for three years. Now belive it or not there is some amazing duck hunting in idaho. I have a good sized spread of decoys and was wondering if i should bring them to the fairbanks area. I also have a colman scanoe with a 4 hp motor. I archery hunt and duck hunt those are my addictions. Any help you guys can give me would be great. Thanks for the help.

2. ducknut68

ducknut68 Senior Refuge Member

Just my 2 cents, I would bring everything you can. With that said the reason is because if you try to purchase in Fairbanks the price is higher than you would pay anywhere in the lower 48....also if you try to ship large items (ie boxes of decoys)know matter what carrier you use it will cost you an arm and a leg. Like I said just my 2 cents.....take it for what its worth. Good luck on your move.

3. wigeonmeister

wigeonmeister Elite Refuge Member

He's right. Why sell it for pennies on the dollar of what you paid for it, only to have to pay more for it once you get there?

There is a Sportsman's Warehouse in Fairbanks, but it iw what it is--you're going to absorb shipping costs when you purchase new stuff there, and some things you'll wind up ordering from Macks or Cabelas because folks don't carry them there.

Take what you've got with you. You can supplement as you need or want once you get there, and you're not going to be out nearly as much money doing so.

And yes, Alaska has great duck hunting. I lived there for 6 years, and your friends from the lower 48 will be in an unbelievable state of pen!s envy over the fact that you're duck hunting when they are still working in September.

4. Bay Bob

Bay Bob Elite Refuge Member

Eielson is my guess, and yup you are right in the middle of a breeding ground.

The easiest access is Engineer lake, and if you have a way to portage your canoe, Duck Lake nearby hold hundred of breeding pairs and their offspring.

Eielson will be great for the opener, and later you can head south to Delta Junction as the birds stage for migration.

Another favorite hunt was to drop a canoe in a creek (name escapes me) on base, and float down to the highway. Normally great jump shooting.

You are one lucky guy, my dream is to go back to Eielson after I retire just for the duck hunting. Then work my way south with the migration.

You might as well concentrate on the duck hunting on your first year there because big game hunting requires a year residency, and the non-resident tags are pretty high.

There is also some great moose hunting right there on the base.

5. Bay Bob

Bay Bob Elite Refuge Member

This is Engineer Lake, center right, and Duck Lake center left.

http://maps.yahoo.com/#mvt=s&lat=64.730154&lon=-147.060547&mag=4&q1=eielson%2520AFB%2520ak

You can see the dozens of potholes around this area that hold ducks, many are not real accesable. But might be with an ATV if permitted.

The creek is Moose Creek and I see some new bridges across it so access may be better.

I also see many new bodies of water on the base and nearby. Looks like they dug lots of gravel out for construction of some sort.

There is also a slough, 15 Mile Slough if I recall just across the highway, that runs for quite a distance. I recall lots of ducks trading up and down this area too.

I really envy you, except for three things, November, December, and January. Look for lots of subzero weather, and not much light.

Be sure to bring plenty of hobby stuff for you and your family. Great time to take up decoy making, reloading, or fly tying !

I sure envy you !

BB

6. R.A.Coleman

R.A.Coleman Senior Refuge Member

Andy may be in or on his way to Iraq again. The O.D.H. Inc. will still be active in the Fairbanks / North Pole / Eielson / Ft. Wainright area. Have Guns, Decoys, Boats, and Labs. Will travel.

7. the high life man

the high life man Senior Refuge Member

Don't forget Sapper 2-6 will be gone also. I will remember to give up my award though before I leave. Maybe we have a new candidate?!?:yes

out

8. R.A.Coleman

R.A.Coleman Senior Refuge Member

The Highly Respected, and loved, Young 1St. Lt. that wants to be a Sapper, and is the curent holder of The Highly Coveted Annual O.D.H. Incorageable Look up award has a precidence problem.

He will not be able to redeem himself to the Brotherhood, before his departure to the war zone. So as Tradition Dictates. His next of Kin IE. His Lovely Bride will hold said award in a safe and sound manner untill the Brother can redeem himself in a manner worthy of the Organization, and Stick um I mean pass on the award to the next sucker no I mean Recipent.

We do have a person in mind, sorta a Red Headed Kid that didn't make it to the Awards cermony, that was a Manditory Formation, and hasn't come up with a excuse yet.

With Highest Reguards and Long Shots.

RAC, COB, Fairbanks, Ft. WW, North Pole, EAFB chapter ODH inc

9. the high life man

the high life man Senior Refuge Member

Bob,

Now there may be a slight chance that we get the first week or so of duck season before we go off. Now if I manage to kill more ducks in that week than any one person during their entire season, I am obligated to have my wife present the award on my behalf to that person. Looks like I need to go to the skeet range more often this year.

out

10. ducknut68

ducknut68 Senior Refuge Member

LT,
    You couldn't kill more ducks than me in a week I promise you that.:l All the practice shooting in the world won't help either.

Ducknut68