Help finding some decoys

Discussion in 'Decoy Forum' started by noryan34, Feb 7, 2018.

1. noryan34

noryan34 New Member

I am looking at getting a couple snow goose decoys as decorations. Just looking online, I haven't been able to locate many of what I am looking for so was hoping someone could help me out here.

Specifically, I am looking for decorative type or handcarved snow goose decoys. Preferable just your standard upright floater. Also am not interested in any with super detailed feathering and the like. A smooth decoy is just perfect. Also need a pair that match.

Any help trying to find some or how where to look? So far I am limited to the internet as I don't have a lot of free time to travel around looking.

2. captaininsano050

captaininsano050 Refuge Member

Those things are so expensive, it's crazy. I wanted some for decor too and ended up on some website charging $3,000 per decoy. But don't get me wrong the thing was awesome!

3. 10gaBBB

10gaBBB Senior Refuge Member

If you're not hung up on detail, check out the Decoy Factory. (Nebraska) Makes plain foamer gunners; but should be able to order a pair for a matched set. Definitely not a decorative wood or cork though.

4. creedsduckman

creedsduckman Elite Refuge Member

I'm sure there are plenty of carvers willing to make some but not sure how much you are wanting to spend. Maryland is full of them for example... Vincenti, Bodt, Bryant, and about 3 Jobes just to name a few.

5. Montauker

Montauker Elite Refuge Member

6. cholt

cholt Senior Refuge Member

Look on eBay

7. boykinsbuddy

boykinsbuddy Elite Refuge Member

Here's a pair I did for a pro ball player...life size. Not snows but you can get an idea.

BPgeese 001.jpg BPgeese 002.jpg

Last edited: Feb 7, 2018
  8. noryan34

noryan34 New Member

Thanks some of them look like they will work. Not looking to spend a ton or get any antiques as they are going to be used as a wedding guest book of sorts. So they will be autographed and doing that to an antique that costs thousands doesnt seem prudent

9. Montauker

Montauker Elite Refuge Member

Tell them what you want to do with them and they will make it work for you. We commonly do this with upper bay birds, have a bunch of guys sign one as a thank for you for doing DU committee work for example. A snow goose or swan (sleeper swan takes up less space) would work well for this depending on how many people.

10. killerv

killerv Elite Refuge Member

I'd look up Scott Green in Delaware, he's a carving machine and will be fairly priced for a nice well done gunner style goose. His birds have a unique look and won't look like something you picked up at hobby lobby in the decor section.

boykin who posted above will do you right too.