Help Introducing Ladies of the House to Hunting

Discussion in 'Women's Hunting Forum' started by Floridaboy, Apr 23, 2001.

1. Floridaboy

Floridaboy Moderator

I am married and have a 13 year old daughter, my best friend is married and has a 15 and 11 year old daughters. Although we should have started earlier, we want to know what your opinions are on getting them interested in bird hunting. Should we just drag them out there or maybe an afternoon hunt. Also, how did you ladies get started hunting?

2. Mrs. Quacker Attacker

Mrs. Quacker Attacker Elite Refuge Member

I have always enjoyed hunting and being outdoors.
    Get your girls involved in your local activities, DU whatever. Take them out to the local bird refuge. Get them going before the season starts.
    Dont take them on their first hunt when it is 10 degrees and a wind chill of 20 below.
    They probably wont go back.
    I would take it slow.
    Are you pretty sure that they wont get grossed out, or have too much sadness with the killing aspect of it?
    Good luck and good job for wanting to get them involved.

3. Greybeard

Greybeard Elite Refuge Member

There is also a program called "Learning to become an OutdoorsWoman". We have it here in Illinois and I spoke to them (14 ladies) on the hunting aspect of the Outdoors 2 years ago. It's a wide-based Program covering many topics like hunting, fishing, hiking, orienteering, conoeing, etc.
    I've taught a ton of gals to Flycast and believe me, they become very, very good at it very quickly!

4. Lives_to_hunt

Lives_to_hunt Elite Refuge Member

All you can do is be positive and offer to take them. If they don't respond, don't get mad, they will have a lot going on in their lives and if they don't get interested there is not much you can do. I have seen fathers get real upset when the kids, boys or girls don't show any real desire to go hunting or fishing.