Boats & Blinds Forum Sponsors

Help picking a boat and options

Discussion in 'Boats, Blinds, & Gadgets Forum' started by darkvibe, Jan 3, 2019.

1. darkvibe

darkvibe Senior Refuge Member

I could use some input on a new duck boat. I’ve never owned a duck boat and don’t know too much about boats other than the research I’ve been doing for this purchase.

Let’s say my budget is $20k (max) and I am buying brand new.

My primary use will be duck hunting in some bays off Lake Ontario, some small lakes and possibly on some of the finger lakes, if you are familiar with my area. I’ll be running open water to get to a spot and hunting from shallow water near shore. I’m not going to be on any mud flats, flooded timber or running rivers.

I'll probably have 2-3 people hunting but would like more space and the ability to hunt a 4th person if I wanted.

I’m looking at the Lowe Roughneck 1860 mod-v with 60HP tiller. I’ll put a blind on it like the Beavertail or something similar.

I’m sure I’ll have more questions based on your input but for now…

1. Does a Mod V hull seem like a good choice for what I’m doing?

2. Do I need to add a hydraulic jack plate or is trimming the motor up good enough to get into a shallow hunting spot? I’m not trying to go fast in the shallows, just be able to get in there.

3. Is a trolling motor useful for hunting? Picking up decoys and stuff? Or it it just in the way if you have a blind on the boat?

2. Mr_Mallard

Mr_Mallard Senior Refuge Member

Excel f4 1860 with 40 horse mud buddy
    The only boat youll ever need

3. wingmatt

wingmatt Elite Refuge Member

0. I have a 2002 Roughneck 1760, and my buddy has the newer 1860. No problem hunting 3 out of the boat, but no way could we hunt 4 out of them. I know your budget is 20K total, but I would consider the 2070 if I needed that extra room, with a 70 yammie tiller on it.

1. For what you're wanting, a Mod V would seem to be ok. If you're going to be in big wave waters for long periods, then a V may be better.

2. I can't think of why you would need a jackplate for this .....

3. I have a kicker 6hp and my Yammie 50. The big OB is fine for everything. I just like to have the backup.

darkvibe and freefall like this.
  4. freefall

freefall Elite Refuge Member

I'd personally go with more motor on an 1860 with 3 guys plus decoys. 70hp minimum, 90hp would be ideal. The Yamaha that was mentioned is a beast and light.

I'm a fan of jack plates. You'll be able to optimize your performance and you can drop the motor to help you in rougher water.

If you can go 20 with a 90, then that's the route I'd go since you are primarily hunting & running open water. The only downside is hiding a bigger boat is harder.

darkvibe likes this.
  5. darkvibe

Not in my budget. $20k budget includes everything but a blind.

6. freefall

Crazy that combo is over 20k. Good for them for making money but they're inflating past what most can afford or justify.

7. darkvibe

What motor is your friend running on his 1860 and what kind of speed does he get and with what load? I have no concept of how much power 60hp is on an 18ft boat. I just know it's the biggest motor offered as a package when you build a boat on the Lowe site.

Unfortunately the Marinas near me are the boat dealers and most are closed until spring so I can't stop in and talk about options with them.

8. darkvibe

They seem to be about $25k at freeway sports with a surface drive. That's boat, motor and trailer too. Lowe, crestliner and tracker are all $20k or so with everything I need except a blind. That includes seats, gas tank, charger, trolling motor, etc . I'm sure Excel is great quality but like you said, I need to stick to my budget .

freefall likes this.
  9. freefall

G3 & Crestliner make good boats as well. Crestliner has made significant progress over the last 5 years. Enough that pro BASS & FLW pros are using them.

10. Blake Johnson

Blake Johnson Refuge Member

I lived in that area and would be comfortable with my roughneck 2070 and Merc 60 in the area you mentioned. I would not be comfortable going outside of the bays though onto the lake no matter how much horsepower I had with a roughneck. The mod V hull is too flat to deal with the larger lake waves. Mine is rated for up to a 75 but the 60 is plenty, I get 31 mph with a 1000# load at WOT. Any faster and I’d beat myself to pieces on anything other than glass smooth water.

darkvibe and freefall like this.