Boats & Blinds Forum Sponsors

Help picking a boat and options

Discussion in 'Boats, Blinds, & Gadgets Forum' started by darkvibe, Jan 3, 2019.

1. callinfowl

callinfowl Kalifornia Forum Moderator

Screw that I'd stay in bed with momma.:l:l:l

2. JEREMY R

JEREMY R Refuge Member

3. callinfowl

callinfowl Kalifornia Forum Moderator

We hunt some big water on the CA Delta and when the wind comes up you need to be able to go and go now. And it's no fun being in shipping lanes longer than you need to be.:no

4. Montauker

Montauker Elite Refuge Member

Something to consider, the Yamaha 70HP is only 8 lbs heavier than the 60HP. Tillers are great for picking up decoys, but a pain for longer runs.

callinfowl and freefall like this.
  5. JEREMY R

JEREMY R Refuge Member

True statement right there long runs they get tough on the arms but I wouldn't trade it for the space saved.

freefall likes this.
  6. darkvibe

darkvibe Senior Refuge Member

I think I added a question to my post while you were replying to it yesterday so you probably didn't see it.

Anyway, you said if you had to do it again you would get a mod-v hull but you also seemed unhappy that it was a rough ride in the chop. Did you mean to say you don't like your boat and would do a deep v if you did it over, or are you happy with your hull even though it's a bumpy ride in the rough water?

7. JEREMY R

JEREMY R Refuge Member

Im.happy with the hull but if I did it over I would get a v hope that helps

darkvibe likes this.
  8. captaininsano050

captaininsano050 Senior Refuge Member

QuaaackerJack likes this.
  9. Steelshot Scott

Steelshot Scott Senior Refuge Member

IMG_0778.JPG Boat blind.jpg

I would recommend that you go used, and get exactly what you want rather than buy new and settle. I watched Craigslist for 2 years looking for what I wanted. I found a 2004(about 5 years ago) 20 foot Lowe's Roughneck with a 90 HP Johnson for $10,500. I talked him down to $7,500 cash(cash talks). I dropped another $2000 on the blind. I have exactly what I want. This boat will travel on the big water and will run in 7 inches of water. Put the propane heater in the blind, it is almost luxury hunting. By going with a 20 footer, it is a less crowed, more comfortable ride and I have room for big water decoy spreads.

If you get a well maintained aluminum boat with a 2 stroke engine, the age is not as important . If you get a new boat with a 4 stroke it will be more maintenance and a shorter engine life . 2 stroke engines, if maintained and the oil is keep properly mixed, are almost bullet proof and will last almost indefinitely. I am hunting a 1955, 5 1/2 HP Johnson on the back of a 1968 Grumman Squareback that still runs as good as it did when my Dad bought it with his mustering out pay when he came home from Korea (when Dad gave me the motor, again I watched Craigslist until I found what I wanted, the Grumman Squareback for $200)I remember that motor from my earliest memories, my Dad took me out on that motor when I was a whippersnapper. I used it this morning for a hunt in a beaver swamp off of the river near my home. It cranked up on the 3rd pull. The beauty of the 2 stroke engine.

It is better to buy used and get exactly what you want.

callinfowl and freefall like this.
  10. captaininsano050

captaininsano050 Senior Refuge Member

My FIL got a 20' Sea Ark that was a deck boat for 1400 from an old boat parts dealer who was going to part it out. 500 in welding to plug up old holes, plenty of time sanding and painting it to camo plus 300 in new aluminum for the floor. 100 for a console. He put a 150 Mercury on it he had laying around. And now he has a badass duck boat. And some guys are spending 20 grand to get 18 feet with a 70 horse motor acting like that's something else.

Like Scott said, buy used and get (or build) what you want.

freefall likes this.